I have been diagnosed with a large disc fragment within the spinal canal in the midline to the left at L%-S1 compressing the nerve root and the thecal sac, dessiccation in the L4-L5with a small tear in the posterior annulus with minimal disc bulging, and a small tear in teh posterior annulus of L3-L4 disc with minimal bulging. I have taken PTtwice , I have had 2 transforaminal steroid injections, and so far 1 regular ESI, and I have been on and off prednisone since January. I cannot pinpoint exactly when exactly this all happened because I was pregnant the first round of PT when I had the "I can't walk" pain and they jsut would blame it on the baby sitting on the sciatic nerve, delivered in October and had back pain still finally got to the point where I could not handle it again in January ( I have a desk job so lots of sitting) and they started with prednisone and more PT. I am still nursing so no pain med's besides tylenol and motrin(IF I need surgery I will be able to take pain medicines). After neither helped I met with a neurosurgeon, per my family physician who said they could do no more, the surgeon told me that I wasn't going to be paralyzed but if the pain was too much then he would do the surgery, a disectomy. He said give it some thought. That was April 1st. I called the next day as I was waking with pain still and could barely put my own shoes and socks on. I got the last EPI last week and now I feel better. I have some tingling still when sitting for long periods and my back is sore but I can lift my leg and bend again with minimal pain. I am really quesitoning whether to have surgery now. I know this is a personal decision but I am looking for if anyone had these symptoms and was able to return to their normal life ( I was pretty active before all this now I have gained weight and would love to be able to exercise and jog again) or if anyone waited and had nerve damage from waiting?? Sorry I have scoured the forums and could not find these specific answers and I am new!