Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any way to find comfort with Aspen Collar at night?

CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
edited 05/01/2013 - 9:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm wearing my aspen collar as instructed 24x7 and expect to be required to wear it for 90 days. I'm past my one week mark, and have a question that I've sure others have dealt with.

Wearing the collar during the day doesn't bother me any more than expected, but it amazes me how much the hard plastic in the back of the collar causes me pain when I'm trying to sleep with it. It just seems to bury itself into my skull. I wake up feeling like I slept on a 2 by 4 instead of a plastic brace.

Is there any way to find some comfort sleeping with the Aspen collar? I quit sleeping with a pillow about 18 months ago because of my neck pain and have tried to use one now to provide some softness, but that doesn't work. I even tried using two pads on the back of the brace instead of just one, but that didn't help either.

I'm guessing I'm stuck with the grin and bear it, but thought I'd thougt the question out there.

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    I wore an Aspen Collar for 14 straight weeks last year following my 2 stage cervical decompression/fusion surgery. Sleeping in a bed was an absolute no no. I was sleeping in the recliner with a pillow behind my head. It was the most comfortable position I was able to sleep in. I even continued to sleep in the recliner for 3-4 weeks after removing the collar. I hope this helps! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
  • I should mention that we bought an adjustable bed last October to try to relieve my pain and avoid surgery. Still ended up with surgery.

Since I see a lot of people posting that they slept in a recliner, I guess I raise the head of the bed up more than I already have it to see if that makes a difference.
  • I slept in my recliner, too. I had a Miami J collar. If there's a certain place it's digging into your head or neck, you could try putting a towel in that area, half in and half out of the collar. But like most, I found elevation to be the key. Also you might want to check and make sure that your collar is the right size for you and that you're fastening it properly. It should be fairly comfortable, but it takes a while to get used to.