Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 weeks post microdisectomy

I had a failed l5-s1 micro. They told me three weeks after surgery that I reherniated in the same spot and I need more surgery. How do I know if the surgery didn't work or the surgeon messed up?
Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
advertisement

Comments

• This is not what you were wanting to hear I am sure. Unfortunately, there is a possibility risk of reherniation following this surgery. It could be due to something you did to over do it or it could be that your disc was just weak and it would have failed no matter what. Is your pain as bad as it was before or worse or better? I guess only you can say whether or not you think to do the surgery again is worth it to you. I know for me as long as I am in no more pain than I was before surgery I would probably not re do the surgery. If I were in worse pain or as bad pain as I was at the beginning of my herniation then I would consider redoing it. It is a tough call for sure.
    Angie 46 yo
    Post Discectomy for L5/S1 herniation on 3/22/13. Also have bulge at L4/L5 and minor facet syndrome in one joint.
  • It is possible that your disc could be weak. I am not giving medical advice, but my surgeon told me that the risk of reherniation is quite great within the first three month after surgery. I herniated the same disc three times. Eventually ended up having it fused. I would discuss this new onset of pain with the surgeon.

Jennifer
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Your results would have happened not matter what surgeon performed the operation. IE not the surgeon's "Fault". It isn't exactly your fault either...I'd imagine you tried hard not to bend or twist (but we are human and move without thinking sometimes). I would say though, if you are now "doubting" your current surgeon, you should find a new one ASAP. Don't stay where you aren't comfortable. I say that because there's a good chance the next surgery will be a fusion and that's a much longer recovery road and you want a surgeon you feel like you can trust. If you are currently going back and forth about the surgeon, then do go talk with him again and listen to his explanations.

Keep us all posted, Hoping you get to feeling better soon.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.