Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here We go again... But this time it's hubby's turn

Hi all, hope everyone is doing okay. Haven't been on here for a while, and have missed you guys. I am still doing the same, pain wise, but have been trying to make the best out of every day.

Soon it will be my turn to be nurse, was hubby's turn for past two surgeries, and now I am up.

My husband was the first out of the two of us to have a discectomy 7 years ago. He has dealt with increasing pain and problems since then. The time has now come for him to have more surgery. This time it will be a two level fusion L4-S1. Not sure of exact date or details but sometime in the next couple of months. Surgeon wanted to do it immediately, but hubby wants to get some things done beforehand.

He is very hopeful that this surgery is really going to help him. I hope his recovery goes well and is successful. Am worried he is going to try to do things that he shouldn't too soon after surgery. I will have to lay down the law.He is just so used to doing things that I have been unable to do because of of my back,but now more than ever he has to be careful and let others help him.
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• dancingnancies14ddancingnancies14 Posts: 50
    edited 05/03/2013 - 5:14 PM
    will be thinking of you both and hope he recovers quickly! men are very stubborn when it comes to medical things (my husband will barely go to the doctor!) if he gives u trouble u could always get a visiting nurse!!

good luck!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/03/2013 - 6:59 PM
    Your hubby is very fortunate to have a nurse maid that knows what it is like to wake up and recover from spinal surgery. I'm sure this will help me heal.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • SO sorry he is having to face this but he is fortunate to have you on his team! At least you have been there and can offer support that is well informed. Hope all goes well!
    Angie 46 yo
    Post Discectomy for L5/S1 herniation on 3/22/13. Also have bulge at L4/L5 and minor facet syndrome in one joint.
  • I hope everything goes well with your husband's surgery. Do you have any family to help out also? Or get a housekeeper or PSW to help at home with him as would hate for you to get hurt more getting him up or something especially since you're still in pain.

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and a prayer for your husband's surgery and recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• of yourself as you take care of your hubby!

I wish him well and hope that his surgery will be successful.
    Now is your chance to pay back the favour of when he looked after you. Please do be careful not to hurt yourself.

Last year, in the summer, my husband had surgery and I was able to nurse and take good care of him.
    Then later in the year, in the autumn, it was my turn again and he made a great nurse for a second time.

We are both hoping that there won't be any more surgery for either of us, at least for a few years!

• Hi Ouch,

I certainly hope all goes well with your hubby's surgery and I hope you are felling better, too!

• Thanks for all your kind words of support. Nice to hear from others that have been through it. The nice thing is that I am able to give him some ideas about how it may be after surgery(although everyone recovers differently) It is amazing how quickly we forget certain things though. I was reminding him about how careful he will need to be after surgery, and how "I " wasn't allowed to do any kind of blt for three months, and I didn't really even leave the house for the first 6 weeks. Hopefully his surgery will be so successful though that he is feeling great and will be able to get out a bit, helps that it won't be in the dead of a Canadian winter like mine.

Back to the surgeon tomorrow for more information and possibly a date. Becky and Charry, he can be a bit stubborn and try to do things he shouldn't, but I am hopeful that he understands the importance of allowing others to do these things while he works on healing, I will remind him how it is for a short time, but will affect his recovery forever, and he needs to only think of recovery. We do have family that I know will step in to help.

Jelly, I certainly hope that you and your hubby stay well and don't need any more surgery.

Hope everyone is having a pain reduced day :)
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Good to hear from you and I hope you're going along as best as you can. Sounds like you've got your hands full with your hubby and hope he gets his surgery date soon. Makes all the difference recovering in good weather. I don't think I'd like to go through a Canadian winter - I'm in Western Australia where the weather goes from cool to very hot. I was recovering from my last surgery in spring/summer and it was so lovely being able to sit outside watching the birds in the garden.

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• I haven't seen a post from you in ages! How are you doing?

Thanks ouch2, I hope the 2 of you will have less ouch very soon! xx
  • trishdownunderttrishdownunder Posts: 971
    edited 05/06/2013 - 1:20 AM
    I'm doing ok most of the time. Will send you a PM

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Ouch2,

Is there a way your hubby can maybe read some of the things us other spineys have been through. I used to be a case of "doing more than I was supposed to." I had to learn the hard way because I was hard-headed! Just a thought.

• I will definitely have him read the forums so that he can read and learn from others stories.He is such a giver and always helping others and always looking out for me, and I am trying to have him slow down and take care of himself and allow myself and others to help.
    In the last week he has overdone things and then his back has " given out" and he has fallen down to his knees, luckily he hasn't hurt himself, but I worry about the next one. He needs to slow down.

Surgery will be in the fall, so we have a ways to go.
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • You are welcome!

I truly had to learn the hard way, and I am the same way. I needed to learn when to just STOP. It wasn't easy to do because I had to accept that my body had changed and I couldn't do what I always had done. It's seriously a mind-set.

He will have to adapt to the change.......he will need your support and need to know that it's okay that he can't do those same things. :-)