Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Emergency Surgery?

Ok, about 2 months ago, I started having really bad back spasms where it threw me off of the sofa twice...went to the er because it wouldn't stop and I didn't know what was going on....they gave me meds and a shot...and didn't get a chance to go to the doctors because my wife is always working and it went away soon afterwards with some back pain...but not major...well about 1 month goes by and I pick up a trash bag and put it behind my back and felt a shock...my back was hurting but not like crazy..well i was sitting at my moms house and all of a sudden I catch an excrusiating lower back spasm that make me go to the floor and i'm laying on my stomach hollering and screeming because it hurts so bad litterly bringing me to tears and my legs numb up all the way down to my feet...this is going on for like 10 minutes laying straight on the floor trying to get rid of the excruciating pain..felling like someone was twisting my spine then finally my wife calls the ambulance because I can't get up....i go to the local er which is a complete joke and they give me meds that didn't ease the pain what so ever and give me an x-ray which naturally is going to be negative because it wasn't a bone problem i was having and sends me home in excruciating pain so bad that I couldn't even sit in the wheel chair...Ok, a few days go by with the excruciating pain, and my wife told me that she had enough..that we are going to a better hospital, which we go, and they give me a morphine shot and prescibed me soma's and loratabs and gave a catscan..and found out that I had a really bad disc desease...to follow up with my doctor...Well we went follow up with my doctor and told him that I was having the numbness in my feet and calves going on for about a week now and he orders an mri stat.....the mri comes back that I have severe spinal stenosis in which in my case is because of a herniated disc bulging agains my spine and doctor told me if left untreated could cause paralisis...ok, he said that he can refer me to shreveport which is like 4 hours from here being that i'm on the medicaid car bacause i'm already disabled but it would take 4-6 weeks for it to happen and told me to go to the emergency room if I get numbness in my groin area...well this has been since tuesday..and this weekend starting this morning..i couldn't feel my groin area at all...Couldn't pee and then all of a sudden out of no where I peed on my self and didn't even know it was coming.....and then this afternoon, My legs became so numb that I can't even walk....I don't have any feeling in them and one of my leg is kinda dragging....I have my mri disc from the mri place and my paper work from the doctor stating what wrong with me...if I go into the emergency room, would they help me...will I be a candidate of emergency surgury being that all this is happening or is it a waste of my time...I really don't want to be paralized for the rest of my life...has anyone every had a situation like this...please give me respectful answers..would greatly be appreciated.

• flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 05/04/2013 - 6:00 PM
    Did you see a surgeon ? It sounds like you should have surgery asap.
    Kathy B
  • No i didn't see a surgeon..it's going to be 4-6 weeks until i'm able to see a surgeon that accepts my medicaid car..because no where around here accepts it and the only place that accepts it is the lsu medical center and they wouldn't beable to take me until 4-6 weeks even though it's a emergecny....that's why i'm asking if i go to the emergecy room with the severe problems that i'm having will they perform the surgury on me..my primary doctor said if anything get worse to go to the er which that have gotten significanty worse but wondering if I go, would it be a waste of my time.
  • Sorry your having so much trouble. I know what you mean about waiting to see surgeons. I waited 5 wks then another mth for surgery. I don't know if they will do surgery if you go to er but if its as bad as yousay I would demand it. I hope you can get help from someone.Hopefully someone on this site can give you helpful advice. We are hear for you stay strong.kathy
    Kathy B
  • flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 05/04/2013 - 6:24 PM
    If you go to er bring what ever mri or exrays with you so they will take you serious.
    Kathy B
  • dnomsed1986ddnomsed1986 Posts: 3
    edited 05/04/2013 - 6:35 PM
    Thanks Kathy...I know I will deffenlty bring the infomation I have with me..because I know there's people who fake it when they go so they don't know who to take serious and who to not...I'm so glad to have the support from yall...i'm really hoping and praying for them to do surgery when I go it..because my life is horrible....my poor wife is so stressed out because she hates seeing me like this...I guess i'm going to go try..wish me luck that they'll help me out
  • In Australia if you call an ambulance (it's free) they put you straight into emergency instead of having to wait.

Don't know what happens in the States.

Your symptoms sound dangerous to me. Maybe call emergency and see what they recommend or don't you have 24 hour clinics? You really need to do something as soon as possible. I wouldn't be on this site any longer I'd be straight off to emergency in an ambulance with all my documentation.
  • charlie6017charlie6017 Posts: 412
    edited 05/05/2013 - 3:35 AM
    I would most definitely get to emergency and I would GO NOW........especially considering you're having urination issues. Please, go and take every bit of information you have with you. DON'T let them push you around and please ADVOCATE for yourself. It's YOUR LIFE, my friend!!

Be assertive!!!

Best wishes and here's hoping for the best!

• losing control of your bladder is a major emergency. please go asap and keep us updated! good luck!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • Hi i had the same promblems you are haveing in 2007 and if you lose control of your bladder you are in trouble , because it happened to me so go now, and try not to worry too much i can still walk but the longer you leave it the more damage you are going to have . Good Luck
  • ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 05/05/2013 - 2:52 PM
    Welcome to spine health. Hope that you have gone to emergency and that they are helping you right now. When I was reading about your groin and urinary issues I was very concerned for you.

Hope that all goes well, that you are under the care now of a wonderful fellowship trained ortho or neurosurgeon.You will be in my thoughts and look forward to hearing how you are doing when you are able to post.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Bowel and bladder problems are an emergency. I hope you were able to get in and get this sorted out!
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
  • You have cauda equina compression. I have been diagnosed with it twice, requiring emergency surgery at the L4/L5 level, once in 2011 and again this year. You should not wait for your surgery date, I took care of mine as soon as it was diagnosed, yet I still have urine retention issues and have been told I will need to self-catheterize myself. I am only 34 years old. Good luck.
  • Kiki48KKiki48 Posts: 196
    edited 05/22/2013 - 4:13 PM
    Hi dnomsed1986,

I'm sure glad you found this site and all the helpful responses you recieved. Welcome. I was wondering how you are doing? When you can will you please update us. I'm concerned as well.