Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 Facet Joint Cyst

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. I've been surfing topics on L5 Facet Joint Cyst and found this site. In January 2013 I started having left leg pains and started taking ibuprofens or store brand pain killers. Over the last 3 months the pain has become chronic, numbness in my big toe and foot, tingling, and pain in my buttock. This is only happening in my left leg. To make a LONG story short. The MRI showed a cyst pressing against my spine causing the pain. Initially my chiropractor thought is was a disc issue causing my sciatic nerve issues. My neurologist suggested a microdiscectomy Surgery however his concern was if I need fusion. I had an x-ray done that indicated there is some slipping. The neurologist gave me his best guestimation of how long that area of my back would last without the fusion. I’m pretty sure I’m going with the less invasive surgery. If he could have given me a high % that the fusion is necessary I would be at peace with it. Decisions, decisions……. I was told the recovery is about 4 weeks for the Microdiscectomy Surgery and longer with the fusion… Do you have any knowledge on either procedure????

• First let me say welcome, secondly you're likely to get more responses if you post in the back pain forum. I had a cyst removed in February with great results. I'm in the same boat, my surgeon tells me that I will eventually need a fusion but opted not to go with it this time and I'm glad. I have had 5 surgeries over the past 4 years, 2 mirodisc's the latest I also had a cyst removal, the other 3 were pure laminectomies, mostly to remove scar tissue. This surgery he was very aggresive since the previous surgeries were failures, he removed a lot of material in addition to the cyst and now my sciatic pain is close to gone. I do have a new issue with my back, however I'm going to try RFA to get rid of it. Best of luck to you, and only you can make the decision on what you're going to do.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014