Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cant stand in one place long at all

Hello, I am a recovering opiate addict and have been sober for almost two years. However, in the past year or so if I go to stand in one spot for more than say ten minutes when I move it feels like every joint in my back is stiff as a board. This occurs in a grocery store as well, even when I walk if I am walking for more than two or three aisles at the supermarket it is hell on me to sit down. When I finally do sit down, I don't ever want to get back up.
I am on Suboxone twice a day but I only take it once a day due to costs. There is no possible way that I can get medical insurance because of that, I am considered high risk. I wonder if its just me, the pain is more noticeable since I am not doping myself up with pain pills so much or if there is a real problem that should be looked at?
I don't ever recall having anything run of my back to see if there is a problem, but most of the people think that its either in my head or that I need to get more exercise. Well let me tell you, exercise hurts like crazy. I used to love going grocery shopping, but now I cant stand the thought of walking around Kroger for longer than 20 minutes at the most. Standing in the line waiting to be checked out, is just terrible. Curling my hair, just as bad. That takes longer because I have so much hair but since I am bat crap crazy over my hair I do deal with it to suffer for curls. I know its stupid, but I cant stop doing everything that I do enjoy.
When I was on pain pills so much, I still had some problems but not as bad I guess from all the pills that were numbing some of the pain. Once I went off all of that mess, my pain went away somewhat but now it has returned. I worry about it because I am only 34, how bad is it going to be for me when I am in my 40's and 50's?
Should I make a appointment with a PCP and see what he says or if he refers me to someone else? Any answers?

• You have done great getting through you addiction 2yrs sober, but if you can still manage to do the things you need to do and you like to do still with some pain. Well maybe PT would help and have a chat with your doctor to see what other life changes you can meke before medds. I have had a lot of back surgery and I got alot of ongoing spinal promblems and I cant do the things I like to do any more I can only do the things I need not just due to pain but to the lack of mobilty and other things but I have always tryed the life changes before medds under my doctors advice. You sound like a really strong person already and you should be proud to be sobor for nearly 2yrs my twin sister has had addiction promblems for 19 yrs I know what a battle that can be on its own with out pain. Good Luck
  • Yes, you should talk to your PCP. Maybe you could go to pain management to see if you can find a combination of non-narcotics to get your pain under better control. There are a bunch of different injections and procedures they can do and some of them can provide some amazing relief. (Your mileage may vary). I don't understand a lot about addiction, but does that mean that you can't ever take narcotics again or just that you can only take them for short periods of time. My back condition (spondylolithesis) is degenerative and has gotten much worse as I've gotten older. I can completely relate to that inability to stand, that's where I was, too, and it was killer; walking was way preferable to standing, but it killed, too. I underwent an L4-L5 fusion 4 weeks ago and am very hopeful I'll be able to leave the pain (and the pills) behind. Before surgery, it had gotten to be kind of a big deal if I could string together 3-4 days without Vicodin. I took Meloxicam and Tramadol every day and used the Vicodin when it got really bad. I just turned 52 last week, I have 4 kids (only 1 still at home) and have a very busy and active life. I'm obsessed with my hair, too and recently bought a stool for my bathroom so I can sit while I straighten it! Best of luck to you and congratulations on your sobriety.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
This discussion has been closed.