Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post op l5s1 microdisectomy question

Hey guys. I am a new member to this site but I have been reading posts on here for a while . I have had a microdisectomy in my l5 s1 disc for herniation causing low back pain and chronic sciatica. Basically the last 8 months of my life consisted of laying in bed and popping insane amounts of pain killers. Now I am 5 weeks out of surgery and I never thought I would feel this good again. Pain was gone the second I wok.e up from.. surgery. Lower back pain and sciatica. I was amazed. I have been following my doctors orders but a few days ago I had my stitches removed. And I went home and I was laying in bed and when I got up I.felt a nasty tug.. there was a left over stitch that somehow attached itself to something and it yanked quite bad. My question is.. now I have pain around the incision. Its not like it was before. No sciatica.. no low back pain.. no tingling or numbness..but it is a little painful and I just want to know if this could be a sign of reherniation or if the stitches may have just pulled on the tissue inside the incision. Thanks for the help in advance!!!

• What kind of stitches did you have exactly? With the exception of once, I always had "dissolvable" stitches inside with glue/sterio strips on the outside. You had stitches removed? I'm assuming these were to close the skin? I'm going to assume (and remember I have no idea of knowing) that the surgeon stitched up your muscles with the disolvable stitches. I do know that in the OR doctors use "prethreaded" needles (at least usually this is how they are ordered in the USA). Once this thread is out, they tie off this string and start with a new needle/string. Sometimes where the "tie off" is can take longer to heal, etc. Perhaps this could be the issue.

If the incision is just slightly sore, not red or hot (infected) and everything else is going well I'd probably just mention it at my next follow up visit. If it continues to be painful or you have other concerns, call the surgical nurse. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thank you for your response! I was told they are disolvable stitches. And that when.they were ready to come out they would just fall off..the rest of them anyway. My guess is they are still doing their job so many I tugged the inner tissue. Hope that's all it is anyways! Thanks again!