Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Driving Motor Vehicles

Wanted to know if anyone out there that is fused in the cervical spine from lets say C3 thru T1 still drive or have any restrictions driving a motor vehicle.
Thank you in advance,

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    edited 05/20/2013 - 4:02 PM
    Hi Ranger,

As you know, I'm fused from occiput to c3. This is the area, especially c1 and c2, where almost all of the neck movement originates from. With my fusion, I've lost 40 to 50% of my neck rotation, around 20-30% of neck extension and finally I can almost not bend my neck laterally. I'm still driving and no one has told me not to. My surgeon even told not to worry about that and that's the reason they made mirrors. He told me to buy some small convex mirrors to put on the side mirrors and to replace my rear-view mirror with a convex one also. Of course, I'm very careful and I try not to drive in big traffic area (I let my wife do that). Essentially, I try not to let my limitations limit my freedom.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 05/20/2013 - 5:55 PM
    Thank you Pat,
    I have followed your posts and wondered especially how your ROM is. This is reassuring for me hearing that as no matter what I have to have the fusion extended but I don't want to have to surrender my CDL. At the same time I presently have a loss of ROM and am extra careful also. Don't want to cause others injury due to my limited functions.
    Thanks again,