Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help for those in chronic pain

jon123jjon123 Posts: 46
edited 05/24/2013 - 1:50 AM in Chronic Pain
i would read a copy of this book:

"explain pain" by lorimer moseley and david butler

it is an EXCELLENT read and feel it could help you hugely. i have a t8-t9 disc bulge, after reading this book it has made a huge huge difference, understanding the mechanisms behind pain will change how you feel it and think about it, after all pain is an electrical impulse, no different to a memory, thought or movement, they are all electrical impulses and all influence each other, and in the long run has the potential to heal you. some people have terrible looking mri's with multiple herniations yet feel no pain, have no symptoms and only find out they have disc injuries when they are scanned for an unrelated issue. Yet some people have terrible pain yet have normal looking scans? How come? Well pain is an alarm system for your body, your body is convinced that something is wrong and you are in danger, sometimes this is most certainly the case, but sometimes this is clearly not, take me for example, i injured my disc (t8-t9) over 6 months ago, pain was bad, 6 months later and i've only just got a handle on my pain (thanks largely to this book) tissue healing was done months ago, yet my body was still convinced something was wrong so it guarded the area and i had terrible muscle spasms, ironically these spasms were now the cause of my pain and not the disc at all, you then get stuck in a holding pattern like a memory where your "alarm system" is malfunctioning, your body is still convinced that your body is in danger when their is in actual fact none at all, this doesn't mean that the pain you or I are feeling isn't real, it's very real, but what it means for me is that there is no real threat just a "faulty alarm system". the majority of chronic pain is no longer the cause of tissue damage. pain DOES NOT always equal harm or danger. take for example people with phantom limb pain? they have pain in limbs that don't even exist, this is still a very real and studied phenomenon. when you have chronic pain this has some very real biological implications, your body does physical things such as increase inflammatory cytokines, guard muscles, release various hormones etc etc and the pain you then feel further reinforces to your brain that their is an issue, which in turn makes your body produce more inflammatory cytokines etc etc. Read the book and it genuinely might help you, it's written by an australian professor and dr versed in neurology.

• Thank you for posting about this topic. Sorry the link has been removed, but the concepts you are describing has been discussed by many doctors, psychologists and others who have experienced this phenomenon. Even my psychologist handed me a research that states that chronic pain is not from injury and it's the brain's inability to stop sending pain signals. There are multiple theories out there as to what is generating this pain signal, but nevertheless, we are no longer injured.

I had a single level fusion done in 2011 at C5/6. My recovery from the actual surgery was around 1 month. Why do I have chronic pain, because our brain has not been able to "let go" of that pain for whatever reason. I have also gotten better since I read many different books on this topic of chronic pain. Chronic pain can lead to depression and depression can perpetuate chronic pain.

Please provide the book title and not the link, since it's against forum rules to do so. I can share also the ones I have read that have helped me, if you are interested. Thanks again for bringing this up because I am a believer!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • sorry, i didn't realise it was against the rules! the book is "explain pain" by lorimer moseley and david butler, it is very very interesting. search lorimer moseley on youtube and you can watch some of his lectures/presentation not just because they explain how pain works extremely well but he is a fantastic public speaker, very entertaining.
  • Brenda9995BBrenda9995 Posts: 7
    edited 05/26/2013 - 7:10 AM
    I checked it. Wow, it's expensive! Any other more reasonable suggestions?
    The silent warrior against pain.

L4-L5 Fixation/Fusion-2004
    Total Hip Replacement - Feb 2013
  • jon123jjon123 Posts: 46
    edited 05/29/2013 - 10:09 PM
    well you can buy the download version rather than hard copy, thats a fair bit cheaper, i can't post the link but if you go to google and type noi explain pain pdf you will be able to find it that way.