Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight loss

I had Anterior Cervical Fusion C5-C7 on March 11th & Laminectomy with Spinal Fusion L4,5 S1 on May 6th. I can't eat, I'm miserable, I ant to feel good but I'm not even eating and I am still not losing o gaining weight. I hurt, mentally, physically and emotionally. If I could just get control over one thing....my weight....that would help empower me so much!! Think I'm gong to do MEDIFAST. Ideas?

• Are you saying your are unable to eat and are already thin and worried you might loose weight you don't need to loose, or are you saying you are on the opposite side and not able to eat so you assumed you would loose weight but are not?

Personally I've always struggled with weight issues, after my major surgeries I was unable to eat (much) usually no more than two bites and those were forced a couple of times a day. I dropped 20 pounds and hit my goal weight, but as I started decreasing my meds I was able to eat more and I gained back all 20 pounds. I was sooo upset because although I was able to eat I was EXTREMELY careful about calories/fat/etc. and I had begun exercising regularly. Thankfully diet/exercise I haven't gained past those 20lbs so I'm determined to keep going with the diet/exercise. I believe for some of us meds really do send our metabolism going crazy.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Do not give up. If you want to take advantage of not being able to eat much, then don't give up, and stay away from the scale. I know because I'm 6 weeks out from a fusion of L4/5 S1 and I haven't eaten much. I got on the scale and saw a few pounds lost, and was thrilled, but got on it a few days later and those pounds were back! Not possible. The meds react differently with each person. I also get discouraged emotionally and mentally, but I refuse to give up working on losing a few pounds through this process. You can stay in control. By the way, you will get better so be patient. I've also had a 3 level ACDF so I have been through this twice. Keep the faith!

• First of all, remove all the depression from your mind that you are not losing weight, otherwise nothing will give you positive results. Second important thing is that do not stop eating, instead take a balanced diet. Do weight loss exercises regularly. I hope this will work for you.
  • I am agree with saraEdwerd. You have no need to worry at all. Just take care of your diet and do some cardio at home or out side. Make sure that you take low fated food and also avoid to eat fast food. With that cycling and swimming are best option. Must try to do it.
    Love is life.
  • HopeInBraceletsHHopeInBracelets Posts: 73
    edited 06/08/2013 - 4:53 PM
    the very 1st thing you need to do is never say the word "diet" again. Using that word sets you up for failure. Healthy lifestyle with healthy eating habits. This is what you should be saying. If you dont have much of an appetite, try to consume things like yogurt, oatmeal, fresh fruit or veggies, tuna fish sandwich, scrambled eggs or turkey sandwich. Just start right now making a healthy choice.....drink a water w/fresh lemon slice. Small changes will form healthy habits. Healthy habits will turn into a healthy lifestyle!

DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
This discussion has been closed.