Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Fusion surgery on Mon. 6/3/13

Looking for any advice, from any persons who have had fusion surgery of the L5/S1. I am very nervous for my wife who will be undergoing the surgery next week. Her problem stemmed from an accident where she was rear ended by someone not paying attention to the road. She never had any pain or problems before and is in excellent physical shape. She will be undergoing the ALIF procedure which from my research seems to be the better approach, My main concerns are: what are items that she will need at home to help her in here recovery process, I will be off the first 7 days with her but after that point she's going to be on her own for a few days, Is there anything perhaps anyone can think of that they wished they had during recovery time. 2. My wife as well as myself do not take pills whatsoever, how intense is the pain after surgery, obviously she will for sure be on pain meds and she will take them as prescribed, what is the timeframe where most people stop taking them?3. It seems that alot of the things posted on the good ol interweb seem to be on the negative side when speaking of fusion of the spine, which leads me to believe that most fusions are probably succesful, it seems when there is no problem after surgery and your feeling great people don't tend to get online and boast about it, usually you only hear the negative. At least that's what it seems to me can any of you perhaps share your expieriences and how you feel now post op. Any and all advice is very welcome I will have the weekend to prepare for her just looking for some help, Thanks in advance to all.

• You might look over this post.

Wife having surgery

It was posted yesterday, and has a few replies that answers most of your questions. If you have other unanswered questions, just post them up and I am sure other members of the Spine Health Family will get you the info you need. You can also use the search function to find not only threads from the forum but also articles and videos.