Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Stimulator

I've been using a bone stimulator which I started 2 months out of spinal fusion surgery. Do they help ? I strap it on for 2 hours a day. The hardware from the surgery is doing well but it's hard to tell if the bone graft is working or not to get new growth into the areas needed yet.

• I don't know if they work .I wear one too!!!!I guess time will tell!!!!!
    Kathy B
  • In 2006 for c5-6-7 fusion I used one in a trial
    My fusion went very well and I was told it was solid quicker then normal
    In 2007 for L4-5-S1 fusion I used another one and had a good fusion.
    It looks like they help but I used mine 24/7 each time.
  • I wear one twice a day 2 hours each time. My doc says they help a lot. something about when a bone is broken or altered it gives off electromagnetic signal which promoted healing. the bone stimulator enhances that action therefore increasing the rate of healing :)
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12
  • I was told after the use of these that they help in all bone issues needing growth to repair.
    They said some of the older weaker people had good results also.
    What is interesting to me is that you guys are using them only a few hours a day.
    I wonder why they stepped that down from full-time use. I have to ask about that in my
    next follow up.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 06/03/2013 - 4:42 PM
    I too had to wear one 24/7 (minus showers only) for the first 6 months. My 6 month CT showed only minimal fusion, so wo really know? I guess I could have had no bone growth.... Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • OK so you go out in public with your bone growth stimulator and after a few questions about what is that I had to come up with something.
    Mine was the size of a Walkman with two leads going to two round pads on both sides of my neck.

OK the new apple neck pod sounded good to me. I just said it didn't need any ear buds and the music
    Vibrations went through the neck to the ear canal. This made it legal to use while driving because the ear was clear and even with the volume up nobody else could hear it. Oh so many people asked where they could buy one.

Got to have fun sometimes.
  • mine is huge (spinalogic) looks like a video game controller wheel! 1/2 hour a day.. time will tell... (oh, and they shut off automatically at 270 days) so you cannot lend it to a friend if they cannot afford one... i have yet to be billed, knowing it's $1500- i cannot afford that all at once.. paying so many co pays and other bills right now... lovely.. waiting
  • ex-gymnasteex-gymnast Posts: 111
    edited 07/07/2013 - 11:01 AM
    we call mine the steering wheel because that's exactly what it looks like! I started using it 2 weeks postop and wear it only 30 mins a day for 6 months. I feel absolutely nothing when I'm wearing it so it seems so useless, but hey if its supposed to help I'll do it. I cannot imagine wearing it for hours or all the time! Mine is really uncomfortable to lean against. Lots of variations in this department!
    Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015
  • Yeah, I googled the wheel one...lol... I could certainly do that for 1/2 a day, but that would be it!.. it looks crazy, now I don't know how you could wear it under a brace, but I guess you don't. Mine was the other thing, just a little beeper thing I had to hang on my belt area and two small stickers that attached directly to the skin... so I'd imagine much more comfortable... but I did have to wear it at all times for 6 months outside of shower. I don't think mine had an automatic shut off after a number of days... though I have to say it took a beating... lots of times it would fall out of its clip and hit the floor and once it spent some time in rice after it fell in my toilet. Just glad it was mine and I had just finished cleaning it...lol.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
    edited 07/07/2013 - 1:12 PM
    I had the wheel type that I had to wear for 30 minutes a day for 6 months. I fused okay while wearing it. It would be interesting to see the studies showing the difference between using a stimulator versus not using one.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2