Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lastnerve's Journey

I am going to start a new thread for my story. That way it will be all in one spot. I decided to start today because my caretaker, Mr Lastnerve, has finally agreed to consult ( yay! ) a surgeon for a SIJD fusion. I have waited for this day for years. Really, he needed to be on board to help me in my recovery and day to day life now.

• My problems began a long time ago. Who knows what all predisposes you to SIJD. I had fallen off of horses many times as a kid. I had a 10# baby when I was 25. I was I a car accident in 1996. I was T-boned - pushed accross one lane, all the way up on the sidewalk on the other side of the road.

Thats when the excruciating pain began. I used to tell the Mr. " just shoot me, please?" I saw a general practioner, did physical therapy ( where the SIJD was diagnosed first) Acupuncturer. Years passed. The pain never went away.

Now I see a pain mgmt Dr. I have done injections for a decade, prolly more. Starting to do Radio Frequencies for approx 5 yrs. My folder is 8" thick! I had a spine fuse ( 4L / 5L ) I consider it a sucess as I no longer require a cane.

I am very inactive due to pain. I cannot stand for long at all. I am troubled with a passing out problem. It is called Vasovagal Syncope, which also adds to my inactivity. I always need someone to catch me. That would be Mr. Lastnerve.

We've just celebrated our 25th Anniversary. I am so lucky he has stood by me through the good, the bad, and the ugly.
  • lastnervellastnerve Posts: 68
    edited 06/01/2013 - 4:33 PM
    It is supposed to be not funded or done by ifuse: EDIT: an examination at both top and bottm says diffenently. My Pain Dr was misinformed.
    It is a medical study and may be hard for some to digest. I orig put it on fb, but I am not sure many read it.
    edited 06/12/2013 - 10:04 AM
    And now an appt too. They havent asked for me to bring any rads. Maybe my 6" file has something to do with it

The bigger bump to handle is getting BCBS to approve, my insurance is handled differently. It is owned by a trust and managed by BCBS. It is a total crapshoot. I fully expect denial and them some work to be done.

Going to 20 mins. Outside of Yosemite for 5 nights. Wahoo! Camping!
  • July 30th.

They wouldve done it sooner, but I needed time. I was fully expecting it to be denied and take so much longer.

Currently going to round up all medical aides, review must haves list and try to gain a little upper body strength. The 2 maneuvers that scare me are the 2 steps into my house and getting a shower inour combo tub / shower. I figure if I watch enough videos and try doing stuff before surgery, maybe I will do okay.

What were the hardest things for other SIJD fusion patients here to do. How did you overcome it?
  • What are the shower reccomendations? I hope its not to keep it dry, lol.n What sort of bandage supplies as necessary? Silk underwear would be helpful.

My surgery clock is ticking and I am getting nervous.

Eight days! Eeeekk!
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/21/2013 - 9:44 AM
    I will share my experiences in the hope that it may be helpful to you even though my fusion was of L4/5.

I also have a shower over the bathtub. I found that climbing into the bath wasn't too bad because it was like stepping up as the level of the bathtub was higher. The problem was getting out of the tub because the floor was lower so it was a big step down. I used a small step beside the bath and had two suction hand rails strategically placed. I could step out of the bath onto the step, which was again stepping up slightly, and then could just step down off the step.

As for incision coverings. The dressings put on me after surgery were waterproof. However, they did let in water and one day I had to return to the hospital because my dressing had filled up with water and they hadn't given me any spare dressings because I wasn't supposed to be changing them! After that we used to tape a plastic bag or clingfilm over the dressing while I showered and then take it off after the shower. It was a bit of effort, but not nearly as bad as having to drive back to the hospital. I did get a wound infection and wondered if it was due to this water getting in and having to peel off the lower edge of the dressing to let it out and then drive to the hospital. We will never know!

You are sensible to ask all these questions before hand so that you are prepared as well as possible. Do ask away and I am sure that you will think of many more after your surgery! :-)

Have you looked at the Useful Items to have after spinal surgery? It is at the top of the Back and Neck Surgeries thread. If you can't find it let me know and I'll post a link for you.
    You will definately want a grabber to pick things up that you drop!!
    Mr lastnerve will be very useful too! :-)

• Ive been having anxiety all day today, and I'm still at 8 days away. The ball has started rolling and arms and legs are inside the car.

Every phone call covering each pre -op area is stressing me out. Ive done this before, it shouldnbe old hat. Apparently not. The stress is making me hurt more, so at least I'm feeling that I need this done.

I may go away from here for a bit to avoid painful, not positive stories. It seems to make me feel worse.. : z

But Thanks for your support and expext an update post surgery. I promise.

• if you want support in these last days leading up to your surgery, but don't want to read posts in case they stress you out, then you are very welcome to Private Message me.
    Talking to someone who has been through spinal surgery may help you.
    I know that with my second spinal fusion that was my neck after my lumbar fusion I was very anxious. I also felt that I had been through it before, and after the first time I had even said that if I needed more surgery I would not be so nervous. Wrong!! I was very anxious all over again.

Things were ok though and I coped very well.
    Both fusions turned out to be not as bad as I had feared.
    I hope that you will be saying the same thing in a couple of weeks. It is really quite common for people to say that the anxiety before surgery is worse than the actual surgery.

I am here if you want to talk :-)

• I am with you about having priors...and sweating it out all over again. I just dont like the hospital. Hallucinated last time because of the pain meds. I am having people stay with me as much as possible.

I keep thinking, I'll live, I 'll live. As absurd as it seems. ; )
  • Today I have an appt with my family Dr. He is a SIJD Non-believer. He will be upset I am going to havve this done.

Yay for me. I will tell him what I think.
    edited 07/29/2013 - 5:16 AM
    And I am getting a migraine. Not good for productivity.

I need to pick up my room, wash bedding and clean my bathroom. Word has it my MIL is going to try and help Mr. LastNerve take care of me. She is a shrill hyperactive neat freak. God help me get through this. We are just down to the Mr. and I, both sons (24 & 26) moved out. All we have is pets...how much help do we need? I find it very hard to relax and rest when she is here.Acccck!

I wanted to ask....are yoga pants good foor leaving the hosp - or should I wear a skirt with a stretchy wasteband? I am clueless. Thanks in advance.
    edited 07/29/2013 - 8:19 AM
    I left hospital in yoga type pants, but make sure that they are loose and easy to get on and off.

Slip on shoes will be helpful, but they must stay on and not slip off accidentally.
    Have stuff that you use frequently at waist level so that you can access it without bending or reaching and stretching.

Hopefully you will be able to relinquish household duties and cooking and let your husband and MIL take over while you are in the early days of recovery. Things may be done in different ways from how you would do them. Be ready to accept that and concentrate on healing and recovery. Remember it will only be temporary. Perhaps you could have a 'no go' area where you could go to get away from it all if you feel you need to. Your bedroom?

Have you talked to your husband about how you feel? I know that it can be a tricky subject. Does he feel that he will need her help? Perhaps she could be in charge of something like cooking. Is she a good cook? With sensitivity and tact on both sides, having her help in the early days could be very useful.

Good luck for tomorrow. We will be here waiting to hear how you get on and to support you during your recovery.

edited 07/29/2013 - 3:57 PM
    Really I gave a bunch of that up already. I had a s1 L4, L5 fusion almost 3 yrs ago. When I was finally able to get around I discovered my husband went thru all of my kitchen cupboards and tried to throw away pots, bowls etc he considered "extra ". GASP! lol, not cool... I suggested I go thru his garage tools and fishing stuff!

As far as my MIL goes, we dont fight or anything like that. She is a devout Christian and well, I am not. Its a difference of opinion and I dont want to violate forum rules, so that is just the way it is... I have felt for decades that she thought this whole back /sacrum was just a way for me to lounge about and eat bon bons. Now, I think she may be catching on, but has always been against Docs., medicine in general etc. So I am not on her favorites list. She is helping because she loves her son immensly and want to take some of the stress off him. Its okay, I get that but fankly, he wishes she'd go home too lol.

Tomorrow will be here before I know it. The hardest part of the whole thing is recovery and becoming active when its time. I have learned a ton here, and fully appreciate all the suggestions and encouragement. I will be baaaack. I am bringing my kindle and will update when possible. I will be spending the night.
    edited 07/29/2013 - 4:04 PM
    My bedroom is my sanctuary. She wont come in and hang out with me, except to give me a akward hug goodbye. My cats and dog, however, have no problem making themselves comfortable, lol.

• I am thinking of you and hope that all will go to your surgeon's plan and that they will keep you comfortable when you wake up.
    I'll be looking out for your post-surgery post :-)

• I dont know where to start.... the SIfusion feels much better. The surgery went fine. Since I had a neg. reaction to dilodid, I got some injectable morphine. Neve had a pain pump. Was given Norco 10's.

Woke up quicky in recovery. Got a private room. As day progressed got splitting headache. They wouldnt give me anything for it saying that the Norcos should help. My eyes were running it hurt so bad.

The hospital staff was overworked. Everything I needed took 4 or more hours. The worse incident was when my ice pack which was mostly water got piched in my bed and blew up all over everything at 2am. Had to change out of everything. :z

I was very weak from prior inactivity, and felt like a newborn deer. Physical therapy was tough. They made me hop to bathroom and left me to urinate. Everyone in the rm. left me, exccept my MIL who just sat there and stared.
  • I mean really lady?! Do u think Im gonna pee? I said " can you excuse me? She left.

Anyway due to the problems of the hospital inadaquacies it Took 5 hrs to discharge because computers were down.

I am home now. Doing Ok. Will post more later.
    edited 08/01/2013 - 11:19 AM

but now you are home hopefully things will go more smoothly.

Take it easy and follow all the restrictions that you have been given. Sleep as much as your body wants to. You do most of your healing while you sleep. Take short but frequent walks. They will help in your recovery. My physiotherapist said that walking was the absolute best thing that I could do to help myself.

Welcome to this side of surgery :-)

edited 08/06/2013 - 7:34 PM
    One week has passed. Doing well. No SI pain. I donhave some tenderness at my incision. I am taking approx 4 -5 Norcos a day. Hardest part for me is hopping. It makes my spine fusion ache. Cannot go far thats for sure. Stepped on wrong foot and zoink! it felt really weird. Not somthing I wanna do again.

Mr. LNnwent to work today and I was home alone. He packed me a lunch. I did good, but wouldnt reccomend it for everyone.
  • I just do not get why the aftercare for a SIfusion variees. My Doc. is still very firm about absolutely no weight bearing for 6 full weeks.