Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Laminectomy Leg Pain

Hello all,

About 4 weeks ago, I had a 2 level lower lumbar laminectomy for a bulging disk and stenosis. The surgeon claimed that the surgery was a success and that the area he decompressed was free and clear of any impediments. Prior to surgery , I would only get sciatic leg pain when I ran or lifted something the wrong way. Now post surgery, my leg pain is nearly constant. It's a dull crampy, pinching pain that is a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale.

Is this normal? Could it be inflammation or irritants from the healing process? is it possible the disk pushed out further. Seems like this shouldn't be happening 4 weeks out, or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Frank
advertisement

Comments

• Doc had decided to give me a 5 day supply of oral steroids. Has anyone had any luck with these post surgery??
  • I had leg pain after my laminectomy and it scared me to death. In the hospital the doctor kept asking me if my leg pain was gone, it wasn't and I worried it would never be gone. It took about six weeks and then slowly just went away. My back continued to degenerate, I recently had a fusion, but my leg pain never went back to how it had been pre-laminectomy.
    Shari
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • Stenosis means that there were nerves compressed some, whether it was the foramen where the nerve roots exit the spinal cord or the central canal, and because of that, there is some 'waking up' of the nerves once the compression is released. This can take the form that you describe. It usually settles down again, in a few weeks or months. Sometimes, some of the medications used to treat neuropathic pain are helpful during this time since it can take a bit of time for the nerves to settle down again.
    Sandi
  • Our nerves are affected by the slightest bit of irritation or movement. During surgery it is likely that your nerves were actually moved. They do not like that at all. Then after they button you back up all of your tisseus and stuff swell up and that can put even more pressure on the nerve. The steroids can help to reduce that inflammation & swelling.

Def keep in touch with your docs office. Do not hesitate to call them to ask questions.
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
advertisement