Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

normal wear and tear

I'm posting this here because this has been really bothering me lately. Its been a while since I've been on here, life has a funny way of keeping me on lock down. Anyways I finaly got to see a real spine surgeon and this is what he told me.
I have an l5 s1 annular tear with a medium size bulg as well as degeneration. All of which I knew about already but hadn't been confirmed by a surgeon. Now this is what got me, he tells me this is normal wear and tear and that just about everyone goes through this and that I have 2 options. One i can do surgery (fusion or disc replacement) or two ride it out and hope and pray it gets better, all the while trying to me out to be a big ol baby for complaining about the pain I'm in everyday for the past 4 years! I wanted to knock his teeth in, but I just walked out. So now I don't know what to do, I've seen 2 surgeons a pm and 2 primary doctors and all of them say the same thing to me...hope and pray or surgery! I'm starting lose faith in the medical community
L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol
advertisement

Comments

• jesspete84jjesspete84 Posts: 1
    edited 06/09/2013 - 4:40 PM
    Sounds like you at least have the option of surgery, if your insurance covers it I would do it. I have been living in pain for over a year, and it isn't normal wear and tear when it takes you entire life away because making you unable to function. I have done PT, injections and chiro. Nothing is working and no doctor seems to care enough to put enough time and effort into me to help. Back surgery is not the first options but when your desperate because you have no life I will take the surgery.
    Jessica Peterson