Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help cervical and thoracic disc degenerative disease

I am 25 years old dealing with the worst pain in my entire life. I was in a car accident in December 11 in which I was rear ended. The day after the accident I was in so much pain I couldn't move my neck. 3 months later I saw a chiropractor who said I did have a bulging disc and straightening of the spine. I saw him for 4 months 3x a week and it went great the day of but I was right back to square one the next day. The pain kept getting worse and every time I told him that he'd say it'll get better with treatment. Finally I couldn't take it anymore my hand was beyond numb, my elbow was on fire including the back of my shoulder. I went and saw my family doctor who sent me for an MRI of my cervical spine and an emg. They found my c5c6 was bulging and hitting my nerve sac. She suggested vicoprohen and physical therapy. I went on the meds and did pt for 7 weeks three times a week and was out of work for 3 months. It did nothing but give me some range of motion back in my neck but my neck pain and shoulder pain was unbearable on top of arm. Traction helped get me through the therapy but at the end I was in so much pain I couldn't even drive myself home. My therapist noticed my mid back was misaligned and attempted to crack it which was horrible. I went back to work as a cashier and office coordinator and the pain never let up. I went back to my family doctor again and she put me on Percocet5/325. The numbness was constant so I finally went to pain management. They're constantly pushing injections. They gave me neurontin 800 mg 3x a day and now want me to do trigger point I injections because my muscles are so tight and knotted I can lift my arm up to the sky without screaming. My mid back was bothering me constantly on top of my neck. I was sent for another MRI and discovered my t6-t11 are all bulging and I have disc degenerative disease and now in my neck. They also discovered a small syrinx at t4. I now have to see a neurosurgeon and I have no idea what to expect. My numbness isn't as bad due to neurontin but my weakness is unbelievable I'm constantly dropping things and I have a hard time grasping things as well. The pain meds don't last and I have a tens unit that gives minor relief. I refuse to get cracked anymore and I refuse to get injections but because I'm not herniated yet I was told nothing can be done. I still so stretches to give me some range in my neck but I can't turn my head all the way to the right or tilt my head to my left. I was told the syrinx doesn't cause pain and it was probably there my entire life but honestly I never had pain until my accident. I can't sleep on my right side I can barely get comfortable. I take muscle relaxers at night and they don't keep me asleep. I wake up in so much pain I need to take meds ASAP but the Percocet isn't helping anymore. I don't want t up my dose and pain management said I'm too young for pain killers so I have to get hem through my family doctor. Does anyone know wha to expect with the syrinx?? Does anyone knw what options I have about anything?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • i am a bit confused. did you say you went to your family doctor and got meds, then went to pain management doctor and got meds then went back to your family doctor and got more meds. if this is true, one should not be going back and forth to different doctors to get different meds especially narcotics. most pain doctors require a new patient to sign a pain contract where it's stipulated that the patient can not get meds from different doctors, only the pain doctor. this is a major breach and could get you and your doctors into trouble with the dea. pain meds are not designed to get rid of pain 100%. they work by disassociating one's self from the pain. you will always have pain no matter what the dose. it is up to the pain doctor to work with you not your family doctor. i would be honest with your pain doctor and tell him you screwed up and hope he will keep you because pain doctors can dismiss a patient form their practice by breaking the contract. also word tends to get out among doctors about things like this. i am also confused by you saying your pain meds don't last. if so, why do you run out of meds? they should last if you take them like the doctor ordered. all of this about the meds not helping and not lasting and refusing to get injections are problematic at best. finally i never have heard of a pain doctor saying they can't help you anymore so go back to your family doctor. there is always something that can be done to help with a pain doctor. pain meds are not the main thing to treat pain. they are only one of different things to treat pain.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • SteffabieSSteffabie Posts: 5
    edited 06/06/2013 - 7:34 PM
    My family doctor prescribed pain meds n muscle relaxers and I asked pain management if they should refill or if I keep getting them through my family doctor they told me to do it through my family dr bc I'm too young to be on pain med regimen which I agree but idk what to do. I never take more than prescribed but the pain is back in like 3 hrs and it def doesn't last 8 hrs. Pain management prescribed me neurontin. Sorry for confusion!!