Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Total Pain = Pain * ( 10 * anxeity)

For what is it worth I thought I would pass this along. My regular doc prescribed me some Xanex twice a day for anxiety for non pain related reasons. Well I found out quite by accident that the Xanex helps the pain more than the loratab. I guess my anxeity level was always high so I had no idea what "normal" was. Well when I take it with the loratab the tension in my shoulders, middle back, neck, and even my legs go away. It's been about 5 weeks now and it seems that the anxeity is an involuntary reaction to the pain. Makes sense when you think about it, you get the pain spike you tense up and then it's on your mind although in the background. in a few cases just taking the Xanex and a couple of tylenol work ( although I am on Fentenal Patchs also which are life savers, I can walk everyday now).

I can't pinpoint the reason for the anxeity as we all know it's EVERYTHING.

Oh yeah I went the " Head doc ( pychiratist route)" with no success and the therapist route again with no success. This was purely by accident from my Primary Care Doc.

Not a doctor just a old grouch with debilitating sciatica

• I am glad that you found some relief with the addition of xanax. Sometimes, we get so accustomed to being in pain that we tend to make it worse because we "guard" against it, anticipating that certain things are going to make the pain worse. I think that tends to lend ourselves to experiencing anxiety as part of our chronic pain ..
    I'm sure that you aren't the only one who has experienced additional pain due to trying to function as we learn we must, with always knowing in the background that our pain isn't going away.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 06/08/2013 - 10:54 PM
    to see the impact that stress and anxiety has on our bodies.

I think we can all understand that when we have trouble with one part of our body, another part of our body begins to suffer.
    For example, if we sprain an ankle, we start to walk with a limp or need a cane. After a while, we begin to notice a new pain or an old pain flaring up. Those situations make sense and are easier to identify.

But, its the non-physical problems that can start or increase an existing problem. Reducing the stress/anxiety from our lives can also reduce the amount of physical pain we are in. I know that when I have additional stress going on, one of the first things that happen is I hike up my shoulders. Shortly afterwards, I will begin with headaches that drag me down. Next thing I know is that my lower back pain starts to increase. There was NO physical situation that caused this, the culprit was stress/anxiety.

MrGrouchin, I completely understand and can relate to what you described. For some of us, it will be the help of xanex or another drug. My medication routine added Nortriptyline. That has helped with my sleep, which in turn has helped some of my physical pain.

I'm glad you posted this thread, its something everyone should read and think about.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com