Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Anterior C2 - T2 fusion with severe pain in my left arm and hand. Is this part of recovery?

nedrad@me.comnnedrad@me.com Posts: 1
edited 06/08/2013 - 12:15 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my first posterior cervical fusion in 1998 c3- c5 which helped with extreme neck pain. For the past 5 years my right arm had been getting weaker and the neck pain was almost unbearable. I did not want to have another surgery because my first one was traumatic as I had a bone graft and I had to wear the brace 24/7 for 5 months. But I was getting worse with a myriad of symptoms. I found a great doctor and in April, 2013 I had to have an anterior cervical fusion c2 -t2. I was in the hospital for several days. Then I had very severe pain in my right arm and had to go in for more surgery in the later part of April, 2013 for a Foraminectomy (sp.?) which helped immensely with the neck pain and returned home to recover, although I lost the use of my right arm. But now there are more problems on my LEFT side.

For the past couple of weeks I have pain and electrical impulses and pain in my left arm. It's the worst at night. My left hand, especially my fingers, (middle, ring, and baby) hurt so much at night I can hardly bare it. Has anyone ever heard or experienced such a thing? I do not want to go to the doctor. I am afraid they will do another surgery.

Please let me know if anyone knows anything or has any suggestions! Thank you

• I am sorry to hear how much pain you are getting in your left hand and arm, especially at night.
    As you are several weeks post surgery, I think you should let your surgeon know about your symptoms.

Sorry, I know that you don't want to go to the doctor, but I think you do need to let them know of your symptoms.
    They will either put your mind at rest or want to examine you. If there is a problem then leaving it will not make it go away.

I do understand your reluctance to start things up again and know that you were hoping that this latest surgery would 'fix' things and that would be the end of it. I am sure that your surgeon would only suggest a surgery if that was the only way that this problem would be dealt with. Perhaps you are worried about something that won't happen. There may be other, more conservative treatments that will help you.

I am sorry, but all I can suggest is that you call your surgeon and talk to them about your symptoms.
    Please do let us know what the outcome is. What ever happens, there are many people here who do understand and have gone through similar things themselves or can at least sympathise with your problems.

• I'm in a similar boat as you. I've had six spine surgeries, with the last one on 2/28/13, c3-t3.
    I too am having pain in my hands; it feels as if they are swollen three times their normal size and they just BURN.
    My pain management doctor is trying to order me hand/arm splints for when I sleep, so they will be in as neutral position as possible. I also use pliable blue ice packs wrapped in a towel to help with the burning/pain.
    Please do make sure you mention EVERYTHING to your doctor-you never know what piece of information will prove to be most important. I just discovered today I have "toasted skin syndrome" (way too much time on my heating pad). Unfortunately my heating pad was the ONLY thing that relieved my pain, but due to my misuse, it's now unavailable :( Try heat (in moderation), and speak to your doctor about everything. It was just a fluke that i mentioned this odd skin discoloration around my incision site, and thus my newest issue was diagnosed.
    Take care, and please let us know how you are doing. You are NOT alone-many of us are in similar situations.
  • herbhindyhherbhindy Lady Lake, FloridaPosts: 6
    Reading your story is like looking at myself. I couldn't unplug Accord from a forklift without pain running in my arms like it was in a  light socket. Went to the doctor and said I had a pain in my arm he says no you got a pain in your neck then that's when it all started and now I've got a pain in my you know what. Three surgeries later in May June and July of 2012 I had the three surgeries July being the worst of them all and now after all that I still have tremendous pain in my arms and biceps unable to turn my head when on disability in August of 2015 I was approved the first time around. I'll be having the pain pump installed implanted in 2 I had the same surgery through the back of the next C2 - t2 July of 2012. June of 2012 I had the fusion C 6 through C8 in May of 2012 C4 through see something or C2 through something regardless basically all my neck the cervical. I have been Stoned on medication since July of 2012 oxy Cotton's fentanyl you name it I've been on it have not slept in the bed I sleep in a recliner because you can't lay flat and you sleep in about two hour increments I'm only 57 years old I had to quit work in August of 2015 what was no longer able to drive safely because I can't turn my head and being incoherent from all the medication was a definite drawback. I'm getting the pain pump implanted in two weeks and my goal is to get back to work in some type of capacity good luck to you