Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back to work 4 wks post op diskecetomy

So I had my surgery on L5-S1 ob 05/09. Monday was really rough. I only got to get up at lunch time to walk. By the time I got home all I wanted to do is rest. I took a pillow to add to my desk chair and today my back was hurting, but not as bad.

My doctor will not refill my pain meds anymore. My leg pain has been gone since surgery, but I still have the pain at my incision sight which is right at my lower back and after these last two days it has flared up. My surgeon said I needed to see a pain management doctor if I wanted more meds. Is this normal? I'm only 4 weeks post op and the only medication he refilled for me is my muscle relaxer.
Im 30. Had micro diskecetomy on 05/09/13. I had a herniated disc at L5-S1 that after 6 months of different treatments I was only getting worse.

• In my experience no it is not unusual. I had neck spine surgery and was off all meds three days after and back to work at three weeks. But everyone is different and each surgery is different. Also when you first go back to work it can be tiring. You are doing things that you haven;t done in a while.

Have you done any PT? Sounds like you might be having some muscle pain and a good PT can help with that. You also probably need to get up more often to move around.

Hope things get better.
  • will not prescribe pain medications for more than a month or two post op, depending on the type of surgery done. For a discetomy, a month is the usual amount of time for the patient not to need ongoing pain medications. Do you have a pain management doctor that you see?
  • My doctor won't release me for PT for another week! I walked around as often as I could the rest of the week. I also brought a pillow to work on Wed. I am having lower back pain still. I dont know how to tell if its muscle related or not. I worked 6 days this week and I'm extremely exhausted. After week 3 I wasn't given anymore meds and I was out of work 3 weeks without pay. I don't have a pain management doctor and my copay is $45. So I've just been dealing with the pain/discomfort this week. Also my bursitis is still flaring up and pretty uncomfortable. So I'm going to try calling the surgeon on monday and seeing if he will at least change my muscle relaxer.
    Im 30. Had micro diskecetomy on 05/09/13. I had a herniated disc at L5-S1 that after 6 months of different treatments I was only getting worse.
  • They can give you an injection of steriod and lidocaine into the bursa that will relieve the pain. I had it in my hips and the injections worked wonders at relieving the pain in just a few hours once they were done.
  • When I had my 2 level discectomy, I spent 24 hours in the hospital and then was sent home with a back brace and scripts for 90 Percocet-10 and 90 Flexeril.
    My Dr. released me to go back to work right after my 2 week post-op appt.
    I asked him to keep me out for one more week but he denied the request.
    When I ran out of Percocet (took them exactly as prescribed), I called and asked for a refill as I was still having intermittent pain (mostly at night), he denied that request as well. I asked if he could give me something else for pain besides Percocet, maybe Vicoden or Darvecet but he denied that request. He told me to take OTC Tylenol and Motrin.
    This was all about 5 years ago.
    Make someone smile today!