Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there a prescription strength Ben Gay type of medication?

I had a two-level microdiscectomy and foraminotomy on May 30th for a whole host of spinal problems. Most of my pain was on my left side. Since surgery my left side feels pretty good but I'm having a LOT of pain now on my RIGHT side. It's right in my right buttock and sometimes goes into my ankle and foot so I'm assuming its sciatica/nerve pain. I'm guessing they irritated the nerve during surgery. Two steps forward, one step back.

Anyway, I tried Ben Gay on the pain tonight and it actually helped a bit. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a stronger/prescription strength version of Ben Gay that I could ask my doctor about. I have hydrocodone and Nucynta and neither have helped at all so i was pretty surprised that I felt a difference with Ben Gay when opiods havent even helped. Thanks for any suggestions!

• I like the Ben-Gay stuff that you keep in the freezer, I can't remember the name of it though. Works really well. I usually will put on 2 coats and then cover it with a towel or something.
  • There is a product called biofreeze. It worked really well for me. You can purchase it online or at a lot of chiropractors offices. It gets super cold where you apply it and it isn't stinky like ben gay.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 915
    edited 06/19/2013 - 2:30 AM
    It's not a prescription, but Maxfreeze and other rubs that are 7% - 10% menthol work fairly well, depending on what your pain generator is.

There is a rub I've used in the past called Voltaren which I believe is a creame version of Cataflam which is a NSAID. It does require a prescription. It's safer than taking the pill version if you have any cardiac issues.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thanks! I'll start googling these ideas!
  • cynmarccynmar Texas, USAPosts: 65
    Hello StarsandBucks. My doctor recently prescribed Voltaren Transdermal Gel for my Sciatic nerve pain and it does help. My pain is also on the right side. Good luck to you.
    Cervical foraminotomy 12/20/13 (herniated disc) C5-C6
    Lumbar microdisectomy 02/28/14 (herniated disc) L4-L5
    Mild Disc Bulge L5-S1
    Moderate Facet Arthrosis L4-L-5 w/gr1 Anterlolisthesis
    Spondylosis w/gr 1 Retrolisthesis L3-L-4
    Failed Back Surgery