Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck pain

I have had bone spurs in my neck for years and recently found that they have fused from C3 -C5. I was wondering if this is something that can be fixed with surgery or will I have to live with it for the rest of my life. The pain at times is almost unbearable. I have a lot of pain in my neck arms and hands. I am losing the grip in my hands as well. I have to cradle my neck in between 2 pillows to keep the pressure off of my neck when I sleep.

• I suggest you get medical advice about your neck. Only a surgeon can really say if something can be done surgically - ortho surgeon or neurosurgeon. With your symptoms I can understand your concerns.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thank you for your suggestion but with out insurance it's kind of hard to find a Dr. that will see me, I am seeing a PA at the moment and he kept the xray results from me. I asked the radiology department for copies and that's how I found out. And I don't qualify for help of any kind. I have tried to file for disability but was turned down. So I guess just keep going the way it is.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 06/24/2013 - 6:11 PM
    Check with your local hospital. There are programs in place at all hospitals for indigent or uninsured patients who need medical care. There are also clinics that are low cost so that patients who are uninsured can recieve care.
  • Take a load off. One of the simplest ways to relieve the pain is to lie down and give your neck muscles a chance to recover. But don't use a thick pillow that crimps your neck.

Ice it. Ice effectively numbs pain and decreases inflammation. Put crushed ice in a plastic bag and cover the bag with a pillowcase (a terry towel is too thick to effectively transmit the cold). Apply the icepack to your painful neck for 15 minutes at a time.

Heat it up. Heat increases circulation and can be effective for easing stiff muscles. Use a wet towel or a hot water bottle, or stand in a hot shower. But don't keep it up for too long. Too much heat can aggravate symptoms and cause more pain. You might even want to try following up your heat application with a few minutes of cold treatment.

Relax. Emotional stress can trigger muscle tension. Pay attention to what stresses you: your drive to work, your rush to get dinner on the table each night, meetings with your boss, and so on. After you've identified your common stressors, think creatively about ways to reduce your stress. One way to manage stress is through relaxation techniques, such as progressive relaxation or abdominal breathing. muscle pain relief in Hong kong