Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after surgery

I am a newbie with a question regarding post op pain. I did great and was at 100% within 6 weeks following L4/L5/S1 fusion and thrilled. Suddenly the next morning I could not roll over in bed or stand/walk as my legs were very weak and I was experiencing sever nerve pain in my back and down both legs. Doc had x rays done which he claims, look fine, then MRI. It is not usual he states to go from great to bad without reason. Any ideas???? Waiting on the MRI report and, oh yes, he will be away until the 10th. Please help........joanne_n_nj

ACDF 3 Level 5/28/2014
PLIF L4/L5/S1 4/2013

• Hi Joanne, I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. You had the exact surgery I had before this new one I had, which is L3. I know that prenison works well and tramadol is great but what really helped me is he Celebrex. I'm currently waiting to be schedule for a cortisone shot. Please keep me updated on your progress. What meds did he give you? I'll keep you posted too
  • Healing from fusions can be very frustrating... it seems like you'd improve a little each day, but that isn't true... there are always huge set backs as well as huge improvements. At least that has been my experience. I love neurotin for nerve pain, though it takes weeks to months to really see a different, I have found it helps in my recoveries. I do think you should always keep your surgeon posted of any set backs because it is possible something has slipped, etc and needs immediate attention (again... experience... sigh), but usually it is just the normal healing. Hope your MRI turns out well.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Had ACDF C#3-4-5 2 weeks ago and have been doing quite well. Couldn't sleep last night and moved from chair to guestroom, to couch, to bed. While in the bathroom this AM I got dizzy and grabbed the towel bar to keep from falling. Didn't here any snap, crack, or pop sounds. Took a deep breath and headed for my recliner. took an oxicodone 5 mg and laid down for a 4 hour nap, Now I woke up with an intense headache (first sense surgery). Had a minced ham sandwich and a diet coke thinking maybe I was just hungry, Head still hurts-tried ice pack. Scared I might have dislocated surgery stuff. Do I call my surgeons office. Not suppost to take any of the typical headache meds.