Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I a candidate for back operation to relieve neck pain which is there all the time?

X-Ray Cervical Spine
Straightening of the lower cervical lordosis. Moderate disc space narrowing at C6/7 with endplate and uncovertebral degenerative change. Mild endplate and uncovertebral degenerative change throughout the remainder of the cervical spine. Mild degenerative changes involving the mid and lower cervical facets. Mild bony left C6/7 and moderate bony right C6/7 foraminal stenoses. Prevertebral and paraspinal soft tissues are normal.

• I do not want to sound dissmissive of your situation but that question is not something that any of us can answer. This is a question for your surgeon and a personal choice for you. You need to weigh the pros and the cons. Ask your doctor his opinion on whether you will see relief of your pain symptoms from the surgery based on his opinion. What limitations will will end up with and if you are willing to accept those limitations. And what type of surgery he/she suggests.

Have you exhausted other means of relief (such as physical therapy, massage, accupuncture, chiropracty, pain management) and di any of those give you relief? If not you need to try some of those first. Back/neck surgery is a big life decisions. If I had had a choice with my situation I would never have let them cut me open (sadly it was surgery or permanent parlysis so I chose surgery). It is for life and you will be limited in some ways and will have to accept a "new normal." For me I have had to give up my career in the military because of my neck surgery, give up martial arts, give up long distance running, and give up heavy weight lifting. I can still ride my bicycle which keeps me sane and I can still jog. I can no longer look up or bend my head side to side. Looking left and right and down are all limited and I have permanent nerve damage in both hands. My life is completely different than it used to be, and I am only 29 so I have a long life of dealing with my "new normal."

As I said it is a personal choice after you weigh the input from your doctor against what you are willing to accept. It is not a choice to be made lightly and we cannot give direct medical assessments of your symptoms. Only your surgeon can truthfully and accurately depict what needs to happen for you.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/30/2013 - 5:20 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

As bpreachers said, the decision regarding whether surgery is an option is not one that we can give you an answer to. Most surgeons would also send you for an MRI and or Ct scan to see what is really going on with your neck before considering surgery, as well as their physical exam findings once they have examined you, and of course the symptoms you are having, are all factored into the decision making process for the doctor.
    Check with your insurance and find a board certified spine surgeon, either an orthopedic or a neurosurgeon to see what they think your options are.