Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decompression nerve surgery

Is there anyone who has had this surgery and can give me some advice. I'm scheduled for next week and am a little nervous. I have had previous back surgery, but for some reason this one makes me a little antsy. They are going to remove some bone to remove the pressure off the nerve causing leg numbness. Help

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery

Here is a link to our back and neck surgery forums. There are tons of members who have had the type of surgery that you are having and there is a thread entitled July surgery buddies made up of members who will have surgery this month.
    I take it that you are having a laminectomy? What level? This type of surgery is done to relieve bone overgrowth that it in contact with the nerve root and can cause damage to it.
    Don't forget to check out the threads at the top of the surgical forum- there are tips and hints and lists of things to have for coming home once you are released from the hospital. If you need any help, just use the send PM button under my name on the post.
  • The surgeon called yesterday to explain the procedure. Remove some spurs and get the pressure off the nerve causing the leg numbness. It is at the L5 level. In the early 90's I had L4 L5 fusion and just a few months ago had c5 c6 fixed. I have had DDD since the late 80's, as I have gotten older, 57, it has gotten worse. I can deal with the pain of DDD, just the numbness was a little scary and the shooting pain going across my back was a little more than one could cope with. I had tried PT, chiro, and walking. The numbness and pain stopped the extensive walking,. So as a last resort I have agreed to surgery.
This discussion has been closed.