Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad leg pain

I went for a Anterior Discectomy, fusion and Osteotomy on 18 June, and since Sunday my legs are in so much pain I can hardly do the bed exercises the physio gave me. The leg pain is worse than before the op, fortunately I have less lower back pain. Two of my toes on my right foot are numb and from today I'm having pain on the heel of my foot when I walk, it feels like there is something there but there is nothing. According to the physio these are nerve pains which are common and can last up to a few weeks, if it is too intense she said I might be too active and should rest more and not sit for longer than 10-15min 3 x a day.

The Stilpain I got when discharged is not really helping. I have some Lyrica left from before the op which helped for the pains in my leg, it however gave me headaches and I would only use them as a last resort.

I was just wondering if anyone else had/has the same experience and if there are any advise anyone can perhaps give me.

• I've experienced this after my surgeries and I've read so many others report the same thing. I have to say, I have an amazing surgeon and I've always had tons of follow up appointments. He explained that swelling/inflammation can press on the nerves causing this pain. I'd still suggest calling the surgical nurse and running it by him/her to be on the safe side. He/she might even have some different suggestions in terms of medications/ice/heat/resting, etc.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I had an anterior/posterior fusion of L4/5 and repair to L3. The leg pain was terrible, nothing really helped.The surgeon told me that the leg pain was from nerves that were stretched when the fusion was done.I had a previous surgery on L4/5 it as listed as a "failed fusion". I was told that the pain could last up to 3 months. I am just arriving at my 2 month mark and the leg pain is better. It is still bad in my right leg and both feet feel like I am walking on rocks. I wear very loose slipper now because it is very painful to put shoes on. Also my legs continue to very weak. My brother had a similar surgery a couple of years ago. He said the leg weakness never went away. The leg pain pretty much went away but the foot numbness & pain never went away. I am just hoping that the leg and foot pain go away. My pack pain at the point of surgery is much better. How ever I do have back & hip pain that is new. Good luck, if anyone knows of a better way to get rid of the foot pain please let me know.
  • to mine! |
    I had my L5/S1 fusion ALIF almost two years ago and my right leg/foot/heel/hip does exzactly the same thing you describe. Doc said it could take 12-18 months for the nerve to calm down. I take Lyrica to little avail. (It does help but not a great deal).
    I still take Ultram, Baclofen, and Percocet unfirtunately. I have approval and a date for an SCS and my hopes are high but I'm trying to set expectations low. I'm trying to think positive and not go to the dark place of "what if it doesnt....."

Give the nerve time to heal. It is probably just really pissed off at the trauma of the surgery and the chronic pressure prior to that. Waiting is such a tough thing to do. Hope is all we really have though, so hang on to that.