Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper Leg Pain After Back Surgery

Almost 3 months ago I had an accident at work, unfortunately with my work accidents can be bad. My parachute failed at about 50ft and I broke my L4, my right femur, my right heel and compounded my left tib/fib severing an artery in my foot and crushing my ankle. I was actually awake during the process of traction and airlifted, this has been a nightmare

I can actually deal with everything OK apart from my left thigh. I didn't even break anything there. Where they did the back surgery to repair my L4 I am numb directly under my scars. I have zero feeling in my hip which slowly become hyper sensitive as i work my way down my leg to my knee. The skin on the inside of my thigh hurts to the touch, the back of my leg is fine and front is numb but with pain under the skin if that makes sense.

I am reaching the end of my rope on this one, because its like my leg needs to move and i do physio to help that feeling but it doesn't stop the discomfort, the sharp pains i get and feeling of sensitivity and numbness battling. Almost like sitting in a car for too long but nothing you do relieves the pain.

Help me with some answers please, I'm losing touch with reality with this its so bad. :(

• Sounds like you have some damaged nerves, many of us deal with this after surgery. Hopefully you don't have permanent damage since you were able to receive immediate medical help. That bad news is nerves take a long time to heal. I found nerve meds (I've only child Gabapentin) worked wonders for me... however most don't work immediately, you have to take them awhile.... I'd start by going back to the surgeon and asking for a nerve medication. Best of luck to you in your healing process. Sounds like you had quite a fall.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Someone else said it could be CRPS which looked like it could be a winner. The Lyrica (100mg) didn't work and I ended up trying an Oxycodone 30mg. The Oxy worked and is still working actually. Its the only time I get any damn relief :(

If Oxy works better than Lyrica it makes me wonder if it could be something else though
  • hi, i'm new to this post, I am having terrible pain in my upper thighs. I am 2 weeks post op and taking hydrocodone for pain only, doesn't seem to help much. Can't sleep at night, very tired. Has anyone
    experienced this severe pain and what did you do for it?