Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Go to surgeon or settle case out of court

I was injured at work back in Dec 2012 & have chronic pain issues with my neck & back. Those injuries have affected arms,shoulders, legs, feet & groin area. I'm slowly using the use of my hands, arms, legs & feet. I have been to work comp doctors & of course they say nothing is wrong & I'm faking. My Mri shows a different story. They constantly change their diagnosis & never mention the broken bones in my neck or back that were never treated. The last Orthopedic referred me to a surgeon even though he thinks I'm faking. Then the company offers me a little settlement if don't go see this surgeon. I haven't had an income since accident, lost my car, been homeless in one state & now another one, in constant pain 24/7, no insurance & no support system. Thank you for letting me rant & rave. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you can find others whom have work comp issues. First off you are under the guidlines of the state you were injured in, so I would make your self acquainted with those laws. For example depending on the state you may have the right to seek out your own doctor not just a doctor work comp is sending you too. If one the work comp doctors referred you to a surgeon then I would go see them. While money might be hard to come by taking a settlement now could keep you from getting any treatment for the injuries you have sustained. Second you can get a attorney to help you as injury lawyers you don't have to pay till you get paid something. If you have a injury they should be able to get a pay check turned on for you, while you are under the care of a doctor. The way it sounds your not getting the appropriate treatment, so I would get a attorney involved at this point. If your unable to work from your injury and you have no income, taking a settlement will not change your position once the money runs out, you will still be left with the injury, and still no income coming in. While I am not always a fan of lawyers they do have their place, when you can't get the medical help you need. I don't know your individual situation, or what your images say or any previous injuries you had. However if you were employed and working, got injured and now can't work, then sounds like you need to get legal help, to help navigate the system. That is what I would do if I was in your position.

Once again welcome to spine-health. Giving more information about yourself, might also help others to give advice with regards to what they did in your medical situation.
  • By all means get an lawyer. Not sure what state you're in, but in NY comp lawyers get paid out of your settlement. It's a set fee and very reasonable. That's why these guys juggle a zillion cases.

This prevents your job from jerking you around especially if you can prove your injury with xrays, etc.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • Settling now will only provide short term monetary resources but leave you with life time of pain and still no ability to work.
    Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing...
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Thank you all for your encouragement to continue seeking treatmsettlement would not cover my medicaexpeminjuries let alone help me place to stay. The doctors I have seen have never identified if surgery for my back or neck would help return my quality of life. If this. would help I would give it try & I know that it would not be a guaranteed fix but I will pray for better existence than I have now.
  • Hi,
    I'm sorry your going thru such a hard time getting proper treatment.. Since this was a job injury would temporary disability be an option? Might be good idea to look into that. I noticed you are having groin pain... I have many low back diagnosis and issues currently also have appointment to see if i have fibro....well back to the topic...one of the most recent has been dibilitating pain radiating from below my s1 to my groin area. Feels like the internal center of my groin is being shot and stabbed. After much complaining and being told it was most likely sciatica my pain doc/anesthisiologist was able to see thru a live x-ray...(during a lumbar nerve ablation) that my sacroiliac joint is abnormally shaped causing this excruciating pain. Not sure if im correct but seems like sacroliliac joint pain/joint dysfunction is a new area doctors are focusing on as pain causing culprits.
    I would look into a lawyer before settling I was hit with a flat bed at a grocery store and was tired of the process and opted to settle quickly since I needed $$ well, it was the worst mistake of my life!!!! Most times when you settle you sign documentation stating that by receiving the money you absolve the company from any further issues that may arise including future diagnosis regardless if the accident was the cause. You can guess where im going with this right? About 2 months after i settled i was finally diagnosed and can no longer do anything about it even though the accident was the cause of my life long chronic pain, treatments and procedures.. From now on every procedure, medication, treatment and appointment co-pay has to be paid out of my pocket.... Oh if i had only been patient and elected my own attorney. The are many attorneys that only get paid if you get a settlement and they dont charge any $$ upfront either!! Good luck.
  • I did have a lawyer until today. I received notice that he/she was no longer representing me because I didn't settle. If I settle I owe lawyer 5k, but now I owe 12k since he/she quit. I haven't received any te of permanent or partial disability payments because their doctors have me on light duty restrictions of no bending, twisting or lifting over 10 lbs & I don't qualify for type o help. Where can u find job with those restrictions that willing to someone with messes up neck , back, arms & legs. Not to mention that I cant walk or sit to long without being in agony. Also, the appt with surgeon was pushed back to August. I am completely lost & frustrated. I have no idea what 2 do. I have lost everything & my health is getting worse. Thank u for your support & suggestions. They really help & keep me sane knowing that I have someone that understands.
  • old attorney did. Seems like they may have been in it for a quick buck rather than what's in your best interest. It is hard to find an attorney that is willing to sue other attorneys, if you live in AZ I have a lawyer friend who is always willing to take on the legal establishment when they don't perform for their clients, PM me.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched