Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor rating site on the web

There is a doctor rating site on the web that is used by patients to rate doctors. It covers most countries and is how I chose my new orthopeadic surgeon due to the comments and the ratings on the site. Seems a good idea as so many people are looking for good surgeons, to go and have a look at the ratings for the doctors you have seen. Write comments if you like as it might help other people, which is what I did for a couple of doctors who, when I read what people had said, totally agreed with them.

It's a good site, type in Dr rating on google and it will bring up the site. Then look at specialities, the state you live in etc. If a Dr is good I rate them well too. Helped me find a good doctor, still haven't seen him yet as it takes so long, whose patients were happy and he had experience with thoracic injuries, which is hard to find.

It's free and you can just browse the doctors.

• The only issue I have with that, is it has been proven so many times that if someone likes something they are less likely to tell someone or take action verses if they dislike it, they are more likely to tell someone. I am sure in your own life you can think of things that have gone as they should and you never told anyone, but perhaps they have gone badly and you told others. For example who hasn't gone through fast food been shorted to only find out when you got home, but that same business could have done it 100 times right. I am not making the leap of fast food to a surgeon, but the principle of how it works. Unfortunately we have become the people who find it easier to say when something is wrong and not when something is right. Many companies pay big money to off set some of this by paying for the feed backs you get either through writing or the call backs and so on. On one of those sites I found something bad written about my surgeon, I offset it with a good comment. Interesting the surgeon who did a number on my voice has positive reviews. The difference between the two of them, is one is all business and the other likes to shoot the breeze. I personally could care or less about the bedside manner deal, but rather about how good they are. The surgeon who had been reviewed positively made the basic of all mistakes and forgot to order the hardware removal tools, so I ended in a mess. He was given the name of the plate, on more than one occasion, but he didn't even order the universal tool. You might ask why I was with a different surgeon, Work comp long story.

I think you might have better luck, using some of the other methods, like the nurses at the hospitals they work out of. I actually like my surgeon enough that I would let any of his patients call me to give feed back. Now mind you he and I don't get along, personally so well. However, I know one thing, he is a darn good surgeon and knows his stuff.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 07/09/2013 - 11:24 PM
    Totally agree with you. The general rule is if someone likes something they tell 3 people but if someone does something wrong they tell 7 people. Personality clashes can also play a part, so on most of the sites people rate the doctor differently, some like them some don't. What I like about it is that you have to write comments explaining your rating and these get checked, before getting published, probably for legal reasons.

I'm not on workers comp and waited too long to get a lawyer, thought I'd get better, ha, ha and you need to sue within two years now in Australia. I thought I had seven years but they changed the law.I also didn't get third party insurance as I was the rider of the motor bike and there was no other car involved, just the council who had left road base all over the road on a blind corner. Said so in the police report so if I had sued I would have been covered as it wasn't my fault.

I don't think the doctors here pay to have someone rate them well. The reviews seem pretty honest and when you have had the same experience, it kinda validates what you think - both good and bad.

I know the system is different in the US - think it is better here - it's one good thing about Australia - if you don't have money you can go to a public hospital and have an operation for free, takes longer than privately but the trade off is you don't have a choice of doctors - you could get an intern who is learning cause if you have it for free they are either mainly teaching new doctors and you sort of become a guinea pig for teaching and training. Maybe for most other operations they are good but want to choose for spinal operations, especially thoracic as there are not many Drs here with lots of thoracic experience and so much can go wrong.

I had to take out private insurance as I have had this so long it is classed as a pre-existing condition so have to wait for a year anyway. Thanks for your feedback.
  • I agree with Tam Tam. I had this experience with a Vet and a kitty once. My husband and I rescued a kitty who was clearly very ill... two "recommended" vets basically told us he was a lost cause and would die soon... but he kept hanging on and not getting better. We were at a loss of what to do. We had a cousin tell us to go see his vet. Online this vet had TERRIBLE reviews, but we had nothing to loose (but our kitty obviously) so we went. We HATED her. In fact, I'm not sure hated even capitalized covers it.... she did a few tests, and gave us this LONG LIST of things to do... and that cat lived 11 years. She was our Vet until we moved. Every time the yearly visit would come up, or if the cat got sick/etc my husband and I would fight/plea/etc with each other about whose turn it was to take the cat. As awful of a "bedside" manner she had, she was an incredible vet. She had a booming business.

I didn't like my spine surgeon at first either... but just like Tamtam said, he was the recommended ortho from all the nurses/other docs at the hospital. He spoke to my husband more than me (weird.... I didn't get the impression he was sexist... just odd) But as I got to know him, I like him much better.

I don't really care about bedside manner.... its kind of like leather in a car... nice, but what I really need is the engine.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • OK maybe a bit too trusting as now they are saying that bad reviews are taken off these sites. But checked for ads - weren't any - my review hasn't been touched and it was bad, as were other peoples.The information that if it comes from the same IP address they do take them off was on the site - also the info about the accusation of faking the reviews was on the site - so there you go.