Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interthecal pain pump

Has anyone had success in lowering their pain via an interthecal pain pump? If so, what medications do they fill the pain pump with? I have heard they use morphine and other heavy narcotics.

• I have had my Pain Pump implant for four years now and it has been a life saver for me. The only way it will ever be removed is out of my dead body!! I have Diladuid in my pump because I can't take Morphine. Because the pain meds are pumped directly to your spine it takes only a very small amount to reduce your pain. A pain pump will not reduce ALL your pain and you may have to take oral pain meds for BT pain but it will reduce the amount of oral pain meds you have to take. I was taking a pain pill every 4 hours(15mg Oxycodone) and I now only take 3 a day if I need them. I still have flare ups but not as bad as they use to be.
    My Pain Pump has given me back my life.
    Best of luck to you. Hope this helps.
    Patsy W
  • Hi Pat,
    I am a patient with a newly installed pump. I suffer from rectal or pudendal neuralgia a relatively rare condtion that in my cause cause severe anal rectal pain, making it impossible to sit.. This throbbing pain also occurs with standing.
    It also causes a nerve oriented disease called Interstitial cystitis , with sympotms of severe urge to urinate and sometime difficulty emptying the bladder.

After trying all the less invasive treatments for several years I recently made the decision to go with the pump.
    I am a middle aged wife and mother of 3 great kids and like you am praying that the pump will give me back my happy life.
    I understand the limitations..etc.
    I recently read with interest your many posts and have seen how happy you are with your pump. That is wonderful!
    I appreciate all the info you posted.
    Right now I am only 11 days post surgery, and having side effects.. I am experiencing urinary hesitancy bordering on retention and having a tough time peeing enough to be comfortable...Thus far I pee a 'safe' amount but I feel incredible bloating and pain.

This symptom is part of the disease I am being treated for ... but for now either the medicines in the pump..
    or the pump itself are aggravating things and I feel sooo bloated... especially after eating.. This didn't happen in my trial.
    I have heard that folks with my neurologically oriented disease can have a flare after any surgery, but I never have in the past.

I know that the pump is just under the skin and not truly in the belly but I am VERY thin and they had to jam it in there. My pain doc noted the pump is sitting above my bladder..The surgeon however still doesn't think the hardware is the cause of my problems.
    He feels I have to get used to it and has no suggestions to help me..

My pain doc starts very low with meds (he is very careful) and doesn't feel the meds are causing my symptoms either.
    I have Morphine and Bupivicaine.
    Something has to be causing this urinary retention....Maybe its the interaction between the pump meds and the oral meds I am still on?

Has anyone heard of this side effect? I know am a bit unique but I so need help! Please tell me it will blow over. I would hate to give up on the pump so soon, but I am in agony....so bloated with the "gotta pee" feeling!

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight on this post surgical symptom.
    I am happy to have found this group.
    best wishes
    Suffering from pudendal neuralgia/ severe anal rectal throbbing..
    and Interstitial cystitis issues...suspect all issues related to a pelvic/pudendal neuropathy. ..It has become a CRPS syndrome.
This discussion has been closed.