Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 microdiscectomy pain and numbness in left leg

dvcmanddvcman Posts: 3
edited 07/24/2013 - 2:45 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone

I have been reading on here for a few day's and i thought it time i post my story and maybe get some advice.

I had the L5-S1 microdiscectomy done on July 14th and it went very well and the pain was gone all day Monday and Monday night all day Tuesday but at 3 am my wife helped me go to the bathroom and bam the pain came back even stronger than before the operation i could not stand nor sit and i was balling from the pain and i normally have a high tolerance from the pain due to the major work accident i suffered back in June of 1999 causing me to have at-least 6 heart attacks and a lung function of around 18% so dealing with pain is something i have always had to deal with but this pain is getting the better of me and i feel this is no longer a life for me but anyway i called the surgeon who helped me and told him what was going on and he sent me back to the er to have a emerg mri done and to see the resident on call.
After the mri was completed the resident told me there was a small change but nothing that warrants another operation at this time but he also told me that because there was so much squish damage i might have to live with this pain for ever and the nerve damage in my leg and to my groin will never go away, I am left with having to use a walker for ever because my left leg gives out on me causing me to fall, my leg from the knee down has very little feeling as well as my foot and the top of my left has some feeling but not a great deal, my groin hurt and it feels like i keep getting kicked i can't at this time obtain an erection
and that has caused me a great deal of concern but he says that will at some point return as it was new damage prior to the operation but i still have a problem making it to the bathroom before i have an accident. The doctor tells me to try to not return to the things i have done in the past to cause back pain but i have been on a wsib pension for the last 14 years and i have to sleep almost sitting up because if i lay flat i can't breath o he feels that the way i sleep will cause more damage and will more than likely have to have another operation in the near future but it has me very scared because i was only given less than 30% survival rate for this operation due to all of my heart and lung problems and he fears the big operation would give me even less of a survival rate.

i see so many people who share the pain and the frustration i now have to live with and my heart and prayers go out to each and everyone of you, I guess i just wanted to vent to other people who understand what i am going through and who could maybe pass on some encouraging words for me.

thanks for listening to me all the best Mike

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dvcmanddvcman Posts: 3
    edited 07/29/2013 - 8:01 AM
    14 days after the operation and the pain is still as bad as before i know the doctors have said it's nerve damage and it might not get better does not help me, and when i tell them the pain medication they are giving me is just not working they tell me to wait and see.

I went to the doctors on Wednesday and on my way out my leg gave out on the 2nd stair and i fell 2 flights down to the bottom and that's not the first time that this has happened my left leg is so week and gives out on me all of the time it's just so frustrating to have to live like this.