Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I just started with a new amazing PM doctor, who in 3 appointments/days, has diagnosed me with 6 new issues, bursitis, SI joint issues, another problem above the SI Joint, piriformus, ILB issues, tendonitis, DDD & I had a L4-L5 spinal fusion. I was diagnosed with fibro over 2 years ago & have been in treatment. This doctor thinks I was mis-diagnosed with fibro & his office diagnoses & treats fibro. I am incredibly excited since previously I have been to about 30 of the best doctors in NY with them all saying they couldn't help me or has tried everything they know of. They all thought the issue was my back/back surgery. Previously, I have been on a laundry list of meds & am finally down to just Morphine Sulfate ER, Percs & Ambien(getting off ambien & reducing percs slowly). The new doctor brought up that he would like me to try Lyrica again. Previously, I was only on it for 45 days which includes the intro period, so maybe 30 days at 100 mgs. I have had horrible side effects from all the meds but he is telling me Lyrica is a clean drug with much fewer side effects. Anyone had any luck with it? Did you have any issues with side effects, nausea, head aches, body aches, etc. I would love any feedback. I was previously on Cymbalta, Savella & Amitriptyline & they were the nastiest drugs, going on, during & getting off.

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 07/29/2013 - 3:23 PM
    I have been on Lyrica for a few years. I have gone off Lyrica to make sure that it actually helping and I went back on. It is expensive, and I went off Lyrica and took Gabapentin. Because of the side effects I couldn't get the Gabapentin up to a level most likely to help. Sooo, I went off the Gabapentin and am working my way back up on the Lyrica. Watch for signs of depression with Lyrica, and let your doctor know about any other "different" feelings/issue as you titrate up.

I'm a little surprised that your doctor doesn't think you have fibro, since Lyrica is prescribed for fibro,

What is ILB? Is your doctor telling you how the new symptoms are related?
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hello!

I had an L5/S1 fusion 4 months ago and have been having increasingly worse nerve pain (not nearly as bad as before the surgery and immediately after, though). My surgeon prescribed me 75mg. of Lyrica 2x a day and wants me to get a CT scan and take that before seeing him in 6 weeks! Any luck!?

Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • the last 7 years for neuropathic pain and I would go back on it in a heartbeat if I felt that i still needed it.....the worst side effects for me were the weight gain but once i went off it, the weight came right back off as well so it was well worth it for me to take it.
    Usually when it comes to treating nerve pain, the usual dose range is somewhere between 150 mg-350 mg per day. Just remember , there are medications that you must go slowly up in dosage and taper off of.Lyrica is one of them. DO NOT stop suddenly taking it.
  • Thanks for the insight, I've tried Gabapentin before with no actual relief. I am hoping that the Lyrica will help me to overcome the constant nerve pain that I have had for years. After the fusion, the pain was gone for a few months but has seemed to return in the last month. I go for a CT scan before I see my surgeon in November and try the Lyrica to see how that helps. I am only 4 months out, and was in severe pain for 4 years before getting the fusion. My surgeon said, "the CT scan will most likely be fine. I'm sure it will just tell us that this will take awhile."
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13