Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right Foot Pain

After my 2nd surgery, 4/23/13, 2 weeks after, I started to experience right foot pain. It is only at the top of the right foot and doesnt really extend to the toes. The weird thing is I used to have the sciatica pain in both legs, worse in the left, but it never got to my feet really. I saw a foot doctor and got an MRI done on my right foot , and of course with my luck, they did not find anything wrong with the foot on the MRI.

It honestly hurts the most now, More then my back, butt and leg pain. It is driving me crazy. No matter what position, walking standing sitting laying the pain stays consistent. The surgeon said that does not make any sense because he barely did anything on the right side with this surgery. It feels almost as if soemone cut my foot open and stuck a rock in there and stitched it back up. It's so strange and it doesnt feel the same asm y leg pain. The strange thing about it is, after 2nd surgery my right leg pain got much better and is almost non existent most of the time but I would figure if its from the sciatic nerve then it wouldnt just hurt in one particular spot.

Any ideas?

Nick Rolando

• Hi Nick. I think the surgeon is copping out. Even though "he barely did anything" on the right, what he did would affect both sides in some way. Have they tried Lyrica or Gabapentin to see if whatever the pain is caused by could help calm things.

Good luck.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.

• I also get a horrible pain in the top of mostly my right foot but sometimes the left too.
    I particularly get it in the night when it will wake me up.
    I have noticed that it is often followed or joined by painful cramping in the toes of that foot. The cramping will be in either my big toe, second toe or rarely the third toe. They take up very unnatural positions and look very strange.
    I guess that there is a nerve that serves the toes that runs over the top of the foot and that something is upsetting it.
    Occassionally I get this cramping in both feet at the same time! Very weird! My surgeon did feel that it is probably from the cord compression that I had for so long in my neck. I think that is because I get it in both feet, and sometimes at the same time.

I am taking Nortriptyline which is a nerve pain med.

• YoungL5S188YYoungL5S188 Posts: 81
    edited 08/02/2013 - 6:16 AM
    KarenD said:
    Hi Nick. I think the surgeon is copping out. Even though "he barely did anything" on the right, what he did would affect both sides in some way. Have they tried Lyrica or Gabapentin to see if whatever the pain is caused by could help calm things.

Good luck.

Any other surgeon I would agree with you on but this guy has been amazing hands down. I've tried Lyrica and Neurotin many times with no luck

• What does your surgeon say is causing this pain on the top of your foot?
  • They are very confused. The thing is my right leg pain got better after this 2nd surgery and then 2 weeks after thats when the right foot pain started. It was on and off at first but for the past few weeks it has been so severe. Since the past few days, now my left foot has been hurting as well.

I got an MRI done and x-ray on my right foot and it came back negative. shows nothing wrong with it.
  • Hi Nick. I am going through the EXACT same thing! I am very frustrated as I am sure you are. My right foot pain followed a lumbar medial branch block that resulted in a large amount of swelling afterword ( probable hematoma). My procedure was done on June 14th and my foot pain is getting worse by the day. I am actually getting my foot x-rayed tomorrow because I feel like my foot is broken! I don't know what to do either. The pain is so severe. I wish that i had an answer and a solution for both of us!
  • YoungL5S188YYoungL5S188 Posts: 81
    edited 08/14/2013 - 3:02 AM
    I got countless x-rays and an MRI on my right foot and nothing. 2 doctors swear it has to do with the nerves/spine. it didnt start till 2 weeks after this past surgery. my surgeon however states that he does not feel it is a nerve issue. I looked at the dermatome charts and l5 nerve root is exactly where my foot hurts on the top of it. this is crazy. i just put the fusion on hold 2 days ago after speaking to surgeon and now think i may have made a mistake.
  • I was suppose to have the fusion Wednesday. Surgeon talked me out of it for now. Is starting to wonder if the leg/feet pain is even related to the spine anymore.

Saw a few more doctors, even tried some natural alternative healing machines/sessions. Don't know what else to try anymore. They keep saying I am a rare case and to make it even more confusing. I have patches of pain rather then straight form the back to the feet. It skips different spots. I really dont know what else to try anymore at this point. I'm losing it.
  • my surgeon does not have a bed side manner at all. I'm still having a lot of pain through out my back,legs and feet.
    take hydrocodone 10 mg acetamiphine 325 mg x 4 daily and flexeril 3x daily and pain is always there and has highs and lows. tried gabapentin but am allergic to it. i am tired of calling the nurse for help and talking about it over and over. why don't they give you help when you need it the first time around. what pain meds work for all over pain?
  • Confine your posts to ONE thread. You have muyltiple threads going on, and post similar information in all of them. It makes it far too confusing for other posters to know which thread to read or follow to answer your questions.
    Please read your PM's