Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 fusion - Surgery two days apart any experience?

Hi all I am fairly new to the forum here only posted a few times. I am scheduled for a L5-S1 360 fusion on Monday August 5th, the surgery will take place anterior at 7am Monday and the posterior at 1pm Wed! Has anyone had experience with 2 days in between the surgeries what was your experience, outcome and what can I expect? Any tips info would be greatly appreciated as I am extremely worried about the procedure!

L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
L4 Facet arthritis

• That's ridiculous. Unless there is a complicating factor requiring the delay, you are about to get stuck with two surgeries, two separate bills.

Not knowing your situation it's hard to say, but I would tell the doc all at once or get a second opinion. On the surface, this doesn't sound right.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • The doctor says its to get me done a lot faster. He typically does them all in the same day but assures me that this way will yeild the same results as the same day surgery?
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • Ask him if he is only going to charge one bill. Plus the hospital will charge you for a second surgery. It's looks like you will be paying for his "full schedule".
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • All my out of pocket maxes have been meet for the year so frankly I do not care if they charge me for 4 surgeries I am not paying for it anyway! I am really looking for someone that has experience with the multiple day surgery? Is there anyone at all? Please post or inbox me if you had!
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • I guess I qualify for having a 360 fusion surgery in two operations. I had my first on a Monday, through the back. I was suppose to have the 2nd surgery on Wednesday but I had complications, major blood loss. I ended up in the neuro ICU for 3 days. My second surgery, through the front taking a piece of my left hip, was on the following Wednesday, 10 days later.

I was scheduled to have the two operations because each surgery was 6 plus hours and my surgeons felt it was much to dangerous to have the 360 done all at once. If you have no complictions from the first surgery, you should be good to go for the second surgery. My surgery ended up being on all 5 levels of my lumbar area due to damage done from a spinal infection. My case was unique so don't get scared by what happened to me.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • God bless you
    I hope it all works out very well
  • I've heard of multiple spine surgeries (including the 360s) to be done in two surgeries... I have no idea what all your doctor will be doing during the surgery (how much needs to be removed/repaired etc.) Only your doctor knows that. What I can tell you is that in healthy individuals there are "markers" when it comes to anesthesia. For example, after the 3 hour mark of a healthy person they usually have to place in arterial lines.... anything over 6 hours is considered a "step higher" in risk for complications... more than 8 hours in the prone position puts you at risk of blindness (extremely small risk) etc etc etc.... so your surgeon wanting to do it on two days isn't necessarily about money but about keeping your body at the lowest risk possible... He's already going to have to do two separate incisions... so maybe two surgeries is the safest. It comes down to how you feel about your surgeon and his plan. Don't be afraid to call the surgical nurse and have him/her walk you through what is going to occur in each surgery and why they want to space the surgeries out. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.