Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Grinding noise

I had a 2 level ACDF 16 months ago and since have always had a grinding/gritty/sandpaper like noise when I either turn side to side or up and down. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sensation. It doesn't hurt.....just more annoying than anything else.?
ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
advertisement

Comments

• Do you do regular stretching and strengthening exercises? I get noises coming from my neck, too. I find that there's less grinding noises when I stretch and apply heat. Glad to hear you don't have pain associated with it!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Thank you for responding.....I don't do any stretching/strengthening......any tips on what kind? I don't have pain in my neck, but to this day still have shoulder issues. Nothing at all like they were when all this started, but nonetheless not the same as I used to be. I am grateful though.
  • You can easily search on the internet for stretching/strengthening exercises. Did you ever get PT after your surgery? You should try to keep your upper back and shoulders strong so that you don't overuse the neck muscles. That was what I was told when doing PT after my surgery.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey karen,
    Know exactly what you have described above. Have had the same symptoms as you not long after my 360 degree cervical fusion of 3 levels back in 2007. It is indeed annoying and it does not hurt. I just try to ignore it.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 08/10/2013 - 8:52 AM
    Yes Karen I have what I call a scrunching noise or Rice Krispies in my neck if I move it in any direction. Like yours, it is not painful but rather disconcerting. I had it before my surgery and I still have it 9 months after 2 level ACDF surgery. I have noticed that after I have moved my neck round a bit the noises lessen, but then return again if I keep still for a little while and then start to move again.

I also get a loud one off crack sometimes if I turn my head to the side. I get this more often now than I did before my surgery.

My surgeon has said that all these noises are due to the degenerated state of my neck. He doesn't seem worried about them.
    Like Ranger, I try to ignore it.

• karenkkkarenk Posts: 66
    edited 08/13/2013 - 12:59 AM
    I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.
advertisement