Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I meant to add this to my last post would lik know what an mri on lower back will be like very scared .

• MRI is also called Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It is a medical test done to view the soft tissue of various parts of the body. For the spine, you are laying down on a sliding table, that moves in and out of a tube. The tube contains a large magnet which circles around the body, and causes the water in your system, to align and helps to get the images .
    If you are claustrophobic or have any concerns about going ahead with the test, they can order you something to relax you a bit ahead of time but you will then need to have someone drive you home.
    It is a bit noisy since the magnet clangs and clanks alot but they give you earphones to help block the noise some, and they will play music for you.
  • grammaof9ggrammaof9 Posts: 263
    edited 08/07/2013 - 7:07 PM
    You can bring your own music if you like
  • Thank you for your help and comments it don't sound very nice though hope I don't need one , if I do I will have to have something to relax me I think thank you again .x
  • The music doesn't do much to mask the loud noises from the MRI machine. If you need something to relax you, you can try taking a muscle relaxant before going in. I usually try to meditate and not think about how annoying it is!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 08/10/2013 - 11:27 AM

You don't feel anything during an MRI scan.
    If you don't like being in small spaces, that may be a problem.
    As already said, you can have something to relax you, but then you need to have someone to drive you home again.
    You can't wear anything with metal on it because the tube has very strong magnets. Also, you can't have any metal (other than titanium) implanted in you.

Although you can just about hear the music above the noise of the machine, I find that it does help to distract me and I close my eyes. I have had lots of these scans and don't worry about them any more. I used to remind myself that the 'tube' is open at either end and you will be given a 'panic button' in case you need them to stop. Obviously that would mean that they would have to start again, so best not to use it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on if you do have one. :-)

• Thank you lili and jelly been very helpful will let you know thanks .x