Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF ??

backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
edited 08/14/2013 - 2:09 AM in Chronic Pain
apart from your back problems .what would you do if given a diagnosis with another long term health issue .knowing that you may need extra surgery/. long term hospitalisation /more drugs and more pain ...??? the reason why I ask is I have had a few test in the last few months for bowel cancer and I can tell you that hospital tests /consultant /the worry of waiting for the phone call /its made me more ill I am waiting to see the consultant as I could not tolerate the bowel cleansing preparations so unable to have a colonoscopy and pillcam test [unfortunately} ..then I got to thinking ...when I go to get a firm diagnosis am I going to put myself through possible surgery and feeling more ill and and and or let things be ???? think about it before you post .I understand that everyone is different .myself .I have had enough ''''and the thought of more and what could be ''''fills me with horror
tony{UK}
1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey tony,
    I know you have a lot of history here and you've been down a long road of pain & discomfort. I used to worry a lot and probably did a little too much internet diagnostics of my health issues. I have come to realize that worrying just makes everything else a lot worse. The "unknown" can really effect ones mental health. I have come to terms with whatever happens, happens and I'll take on whatever is thrown at with me with the attitude I will be stronger than before.
    However when we receive a diagnosis whether it be positive or negative we should at least get a second opinion just to be sure. Let the professionals do our diagnosing.
    take care,
    ranger
  • Right now all can think is I'm happy to only have one back! My brother in law recently had his rotator cuff repaired and it was awful. Now he has to schedule surgery on the other one! I'm so relieved to be done and I'm sick and tired of needles and pills and hoping someone will listen to me. My insurance is paying 100% for the rest of the year but I'm not sure I would choose to do another procedure, if it were my *choice*.
    Shari
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • Earlier this year, I changed primary doctors. At my physical, we were discussing some health tests he wanted- the usual colonoscopy, an updated thyroid scan ( had some nodules some ten years ago but former primary had no follow up on them since then), breast imaging- well, I went through the colonscopy procedure, which is a bit more challenging for me since I have spinal cord damage and it effects my ability to control my bowels and bladder so the prep for the colonoscopy is challenging- that came back not so great, precancerous lesions for the second time in a row.......the breast imaging came back funky, so was sent for bilateral new images and ultrasound, which also came back bad, now needed to go for a biopsy, and of course, the thyroid ultrasound came back with what they believed a malignancy.........talk about feeling like I was being hit from all sides.
    So, they did the second ultrasound on the thyroid, demanded a biopsy of that, got it done and turned out they missed the nodule in question completely and needed to repeat it........got the sterotactic biopsy done, they also missed the target on that , so needed to repeat that as well......and the colonoscopy, well I get to repeat that in another month.......fun, fun ., fun, not.
    Thankfully, it all turned out well, at least in February, but I have to admit, that I found myself wondering what I would do if things continued to turn south as they appeared to be....my doctor was wonderful, I have to give him credit, we were sure that the breast biopsy and thyroid were going to come back positive, especially since all indications seemed to be leaning that way, but despite a month and half of feeling like I was at the opposite end of heaven, it all worked out.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    All I can say to you is try not to worry ( yeah right) You have been thru enough. Hang tough. Big hug
    Susan
  • Tony:

I remeber that waiting feeling so well. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer (no question about that), but then I had to undergo the bone scan, etc. to see if the cancer had metastised. Those few days were unbelievably "unnerving." Every thing I felt physically was cancer because my mind was assuming the worst. My subsequent test results indicated that the cancer was contained, so I then underwent the surgery, etc.

Throughout the process I discovered that the mental stress was significant and became debilitating at times.

Just know that your feelings at this time are normal and that thousands of others have suffered through the waiting period and experienced the same anxiety.

I wish you luck my friend.

Jim
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
    edited 08/16/2013 - 8:55 AM
    I hope your ok .thinks over here have been hell for around 18 months ..since the ALIF .I could list the problems and associated problems that go with the problems ! ..but I wont ..hope thins are good in your part of the world ..I know that as I have got older and suffer with sleep depravation ,my problems have intensified .I am still waiting for the next move from the hospital but as everyone seem to be on vacation {in the hospital} I will just have to wait a little longer ,,I hope that whatever I have can be sorted with medication as I am not having anymore operations .there are certain drugs that I will not take ,either
    I am sick of xxxx hospitals and being sick !!
    tony{UK}

Post Edited for Inappropriate Language by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement