Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP!!!! I have Cabin Fever.

Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
edited 08/14/2013 - 8:23 AM in Recovering from Surgery
HELP I'm trapped in my own house and I'm starting to lose my mind. I'm 1 week post-op from a L4/L5 MicroDiscectomy. When is it safe to venture out? What are you doing to keep your sanity?
Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
advertisement

Comments

• LOL - it will get better!!! I'm 4 weeks post-op, same surgery but L5-S1. I started walking week 2 and would do things like go out to my mailbox to get mail, walk to my garden to look at it and pick off dead flowers (raised garden bed). I would do slow laps around the house. End of week 2, my teenage daughter took me to the grocery store and we did some shopping. I used the cart to hold on to and walk behind. Then we went to home depot to pick out paint colors and I rode in the electric scooter/cart thingy (quite fun!). Week 3, I was on less pain meds and began driving.....freedom!! Week 4, I'm pretty much doing everything....just carefully.

I don't know if you have an ipad. It saved me from absolute boredom. I would watch shows on it, youtube, twitter, facebook, download books/read, etc.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • I've been up and walking since the day after surgery. I can't really walk to my mail box because we live on a private drive and it takes 5 mins to walk there and back. I am only taking pain meds in the morning and at night and muscle relaxers every 6 hours, so I'm itching to get out. I haven't gone any where outside my house but my front porch since Friday, when I came home from the hospital. I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook, cable with onDemand, Netflix, etc but its not helping. The problem is that I have been doing all of this for the last 5 months. That's when the pain was so bad I couldn't even walk. The difference is I at least got out two or three times a week. Groceries, dinner, a visit to the local brewery. I'm really hoping to get out this weekend just for a bit, otherwise I think I will really lose it. I know that I need to be careful and to not over do it and I will be extra careful and my family will be sure of that. I just need to get out.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • I started a scrapbook back in April after our family trip to beach and work on that when I am bored with tv and computer. I have been doing those for 15 months so get really bored. I can drive but can't walk around in stores so don't get out much. When I reach my limit my daughter will take me for a ride and that helps tremendously.

Hugs
    kelli