Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Problems - Pain , Young or Old, New or existing

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 08/26/2013 - 3:12 PM in Depression and Coping
This site has grown so fast in the past several years. I remember when we had about 2,500 members. Everything back then was almost one and one, everyone knew one another. When there is growth, there can be potential problems.
A member I respect pointed out several things to me last night..

Our objective here is to provide an environment in which everyone can come to, feel comfortable about their posts, not to worry about being judged and are just looking for help. I wish I could say that is done 100% of the time. I'd be naive if I said that many times new members are handled cold and harsh at times. To the point that they feel uncomfortable here. I know, at times, I have been less than compassionate while dealing with some member threads/posts.

Emotions, feelings, attitudes, experiences, etc all come into play while dealing with member threads. Add to that, we are online, we cant see face to face the person we are dealing with. At times that makes a big difference.

Pain is Pain - Simple and truthful. You don't have to be old, young, new at this or dealing with it for years, you know what pain is. And you know you want to do whatever you can to eliminate that pain.

Some of us who have been dealing with this for years, have suggestions or ideas to help others. Those are good moves, but many times, a person just experiencing the spinal problems are scared, frustrated and can be so confused. When they post, they are almost screaming out for help. Its a downfall for us, when members don't handle those members with compassion.

The last thing a new member wants to hear is that they are wrong, only feeling sorry for themselves, not looking at things correctly, etc. Havent we all been there? I know I have! Time to put ourselves in their shoes.

I guess what I am saying is that I am asking the veterans of this site to step back and look how we handle new members, young or old. You know I am not the hugy hugy type, I dont believe in that, but we should always deal using honesty and compassion.

I do want to thank so many of our veterans who have always done this. Its because of you that many members stay here to understand more.

We are growing, no question about that, but what I want to see is that while growing we get better!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
    edited 08/26/2013 - 3:07 AM
    Thanks for bringing some honest in, Ron. Thanks for always being here no matter what! I for one have always felt welcome. I have always been lurking these past years, even if I wasn't actively posting for a while. You and the other Spiney moderators have been such a blessing.

One Love,

Stephanie AKA DIMH
  • I probably would not have gone ahead with my cervical surgery had it not been for the info I learned from this site. I wish I was a part of this as early as 2008 when my major problems started. I would have been way more prepared when primary always gave me the choice ( conservative approach or aggressive and said MRI is last resort since insurance companies need good reason). May not had needed all the levels back then. He also thought the first doctor I went to worked on the cervical spine but was orthopedic spine dealing lumbar so I missed sometime also. So I for one could not be happier that there is so much info to be so helpful to all of us who use it.