Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain after car accident, HELP

Ok, so in May of this year I was rear ended while stopped at a light. Not sure how fast they were going but he had a fair amount of damage to his car. I felt a little foggy afterwards, and got a headache a little while later that day but didn't feel too bad... Until the next day. Neck was stiff & hurting along with lower back. Saw Chiropractor the day after the accident, did an X-ray and said classic whiplash. After a week my neck & back continue to get worse, I tell him each time it's a little worse but course of treatment never changes. I change to a different doctor.
A week with the new doctor my neck is starting to feel better but lower back continues to hurt and shows no sighs of getting better. We start massage therapy as well as adjustments. Still no results. We stop treatment to see if that's contributing to the pain. Fast forward 2 months after accident, still in constant pain in lower back. Schedule MRI, it shows absolutely nothing wrong. I decide to give it more time to heal on its own.
3 months after accident it seems to be getting worse. Here's what I have going on:
Pain while sitting, a shooting pain into sciatic nerve, typically on right side but occasionally on the left. It does not go all the way down my leg, just thigh area. Feel a weakness in my upper leg, thigh area usually that happens when standing but have felt it while seated. On occasion I'll have a pain in my groin area, that is less frequent but happens on occasion.
The lower back hurts constantly from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Hurts worse when sitting, but can definately feel it while standing and that's when the weak legs kick in. When I lay down, which is the only way to relieve the pain I get a HUGE rush of pain that starts in my lower back, it radiates outward & down into my legs before it calms down and stops hurting.
What is going on, the at fault insurance offered to close the claim for 1200 stating its only a soft tissue injury. I'm obviously still hurting 3 months later so I have zero interest in closing or settling anything but am confused. Why am I still in pain when X-Ray & MRI show nothing out of place.
Please help!

• I was in a car accident about 3 years ago, when I got back to my home state, I got an X-Ray done on my back and they said everything came back normal. However, my lower back has started up again.. It hurts to sit, lift heavy objects, and even just go about my daily life. Laying down, heating pads, medicine.. They all help but it's only temporary relief. Anyways, I went to my doctor and got an X-Ray done AGAIN... turns out I have arthritis in my back (however, its mild and not causing the pain). The pain I have I cant even explain, it's mild and then it's severe. It's a dull/achy/annoying pain. So I went to physical therapy and that helped a lot, still only temporary and apparently my back is very tight (almost like a huge knot) so when she was massaging it, it felt like I was being stabbed with knives. So I just got an MRI Tuesday and I pray it shows something... I just want answers! I'm sorry about what happened to you, but it's nice to know someone is experiencing the same type of thing I am.
  • Jen.coleJJen.cole Posts: 1
    edited 09/21/2015 - 4:18 AM
    I was in a car accident involving a tree and a few spins. I felt fine after the accident but a few days after I started feeling bad pain in my lower back on both sides. I am 15 years old and am very involved in sports. It was last year in February and I'm at the point where I had to give up basketball because of it. The doctors don't know what it is from but I have to wear a brace under my clothes to school which is very uncomfortable. I've been to the doctors many times and they give me nothing. They've done X rays and I've been to physical therapy also, but nothing is working. I saw that you had pain in your legs. And since I'm active in sports I don't know if it is the same thing or my muscles are sore from running. I hope both of your backs feel better because I know how you feel.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Jenna Coleman
  • HautemessHautemess San DiegoPosts: 24
    I was rear ended 2 days afetr I had radio frequency ablation on my lumbar spine and my back pain keeps getting worse. On top of that I am recovering from Guillain Barré Syndrome and since my X-rays are normal none of my Drs can really tell me why have sever back pain (mostly leaning toward the Guillain Barré) It's very frustrating.
  • I know it is frustrating. I have had four lams (neck) and many facet injections (lower). I use Ice on 15 minutes and off 15 minutes X3 daily with at least 30 Minutes in a zero gravity chair I got from Walmart. It was the chair that made the biggest difference. Several company's make a version, a fold up version runs around $100 bucks. You may want to start a pain journal as well, it will help to isolate what activities cause a worsening of your symptoms. For me the surgery was a miracle, I know others who have not had good results, but I am almost 100% post surgery 2 years later. Good luck and I hope you find some answers.
    The Real Jackhammer
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• edited 12/01/2015 - 4:08 PM
    Hey Savage,
    I'm sure your Chiropractors did a great job with the early part of your injury. That's kind of obvious, I know, since you improved. I am a physical therapist and have a history of treating cases such as yours. I would like to offer some insight into what is most likely happening. As far as the MRI and x-ray tests, they likely were not sensitive enough to pick up what is going on. Even the best images of this kind can sometimes give a false negative or "lie" a little. So, as this would imply, yes there is likely something there and you are not insane. Let me give you some insight into your low back. If we look at a Halloween skeleton, at the area of the pelvis and lumbar spine, we will find the sacrum. This bone is in the back and is triangular in shape. It has three joints the left and right are with the pelvis itself and the one on top is with the lumbar spine. It actually works a bit like a key stone in a bridge. What I surmise has happened is that from the impact one or more of those joints got locked up and as a result has stayed in a rotated position. You may well imagine how this would effect your lumbar spine in standing. It gives it a curve much like scoliosis and as a result may end up pinching some nerves. This could account for the feelings you are getting in your legs. The groin pain may be a result of a shifted pelvis, generally called an up or down shift by PT's. When standing these may all make one leg appear, when in fact it is just what is called a functional discrepancy. You may see this,, if one pant leg seems longer, when it never did before. The low back pain is also connected and is likely weak an fatigued muscles which may spasm a little when you lay down. The good news, is that this is all fixable, with some help and hard work. I would strongly suggest that you find a physical therapist in your area that performs manual therapy and ask them to look into the possibility of these things going on. The great thing is that your therapist will be able to address these issues in a clear cut manor. Many of us also have good relations with the medical docs in our areas and can refer you out if it seems necessary, to clear any possible medical questions or to order any appropriate tests. The majority of us (physical therapists) are what is called direct access, which means that you may call and make an appointment for an exam of your spine, without seeing a different doctor for a prescription. I hope that this has helped you. Also please realize that this is some conjecture on my part, since I have not examined you myself. I am basing this on your reported symptoms and what you reported was the opinions of your other professionals.

I wish you luck and health!

Forum Rule:
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

Your post contains wording that may be considered as giving medical advice. It is very important that everyone understand that
    there are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore any comments are solely opinions based on personal experiences.
    They should never been taken as medical fact.

While your post did not contain specific medical advice, there were many sentences that would led anyone to take what you said as being medical facts and something that others should act upon. We need to be very careful when presenting information to other members.

- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator
  • The October of last year I got T-Boned by an elderly lady turning left on a red light while I was going straight through. It caused my car to spin out. At first I did not feel too much pain but as time gone it progressed. I went to the chiropractor for 2 months. Only took an x-ray at the beginning and not the end, which I thought was weird. At this point my back sometimes still hurts but I cannot pop it or release the tension. Also my knees and right shoulder still pop like crazy! Should I do something, is there anything to help?