Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stiff muscles in legs after fusion

Just curious if anyone gets really stiff leg muscles after having a surgery? It is really hard to stretch without bending does anyone have suggestions? When I get stiff my muscles tend to ache and its more of a frustration than anything. I know PT will help a lot with all that but I can't start PT for a few more weeks. Hope everyone is having a great day!

• When I was first out of my fusion before PT started, I do remember my legs being super stiff and sore. I know that the muscle relaxers that my surgeon prescribed helped tremendously and my husband making me get up and take little walks. PT was light at first but then when they started getting more aggressive I had similar pain that I had before surgery-- my surgeon said that I was in pain for SO long that my nerves were still in shock, and to take it slow. Hope that helps.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Very common especially in the hamstring area. I was very flexible prior to surgery but not at all after surgery and this is what I expected. Physical therapy does help A LOT. I figure it will take me at least a year to get even close to the flexibility I had prior to surgery. I found my ankles and feet muscles were also tight and sore after surgery.

I like to do a very short (not pushing it but slow) stretch while lying on my bed (firm bed) working on the feet, ankles, calves, and hamstring area. My PT was OK with everything I told her I was doing and encouraged me to continue.

Isthmic Spondyliothesis Level II - III
    ALIF/PLIF L4-L5-S1, 2 cages, 2 rods, 6 screws (6/10/2013)
  • I agree with Vicky. Especially those with spondys have shortened hamstrings and sciatic nerves and it takes time and effort to lengthen them through approved stretching to adapt to the new position of the vertebrae.

I am 27 months out, stretch regularly and will still have stiff muscles on my "worse" side if I have been too active. Another session of stretching usually sorts that out in less than 5 minutes.