Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT working- should I go ahead with surgery??

Good evening everyone- I really need some input!

I have had lower back pain for years- haven't been able to sit for about three months now. I have been diagnosed with DDD, annual tear, and bulging discs. My NS and I decided to go ahead with lumbar fusion surgery. He scheduled me for three weeks of physical therapy in order to satisfy the insurance requirement that all conservative means of treatment have been exhausted.

After two PT appointments I am now able to sit pain free (for the most part). It was the weirdest thing- after the first session, sciatica and worsening of pain resulted, but after a day, this cleared up and the sitting issue started getting better for the first time in a while.

I have been prepared for surgery and have all preparations in place (off of work, short term disability granted, etc.).
Should I go ahead with it? In your experience, does PT improvement last? I am so amazed at being able to sit virtually pain free that I am now thinking that all can be resolved with PT. Is this possible?

3/11/13 successful ACDF
7/13 inconclusive discogram
Currently in PT for lumbar pain

• I would do two things - talk to my NS, and get a second opinion based on PT helping some. I know that in my case (disc herniation, spondylolisthesis) if PT had worked, I would not be having surgery. I also know I would give a small toe or finger for PT to have worked. ;)
    Up coming Lumbar Fusion at L4/L5

My blog: livingbendy.com
  • 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 08/26/2013 - 11:58 PM
    Cutting is no guarantee so if pt works, I would put the chopping block off for now. That's my take, for me. You can always get cut on later but there's no turning back once its done. I would also have given my left n in exchange or pt having worked.
  • If you tell your surgeon that PT is helping he should postpone the surgery himself if he is reputable. I would NOT go through the surgery until you are at a point where you cannot handle the discomfort any longer. There are exceptions though. If you begin having nerve issues, radiculopathy or cauda equina syndrome, it's time to consider surgery.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I am practically positive that my NS will take surgery off of the table (no pun intended) for now.

It really is amazing what the PT has done in so little time. I am truly grateful to be able to simply sit again with just some simple stretches!

Thanks everyone for your advice!
    3/11/13 successful ACDF
    7/13 inconclusive discogram
    Currently in PT for lumbar pain