Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Might have to have stem removed

I might have to have my perm stem in my lower back removed! I'm having bad headaches and chest pains and they can't seem to find the reason why! They can't find any leaking so they think that my body is just not excepting my stem. On top of my nerve pain and leg pain now I have all of this other stuff going on. If I had to do it all over again I would! I just wish this would have worked for me. I would rather have my old pain back than all this new stuff! My stem has been in since April and hasn't worked right from the start. The trial was great but, the perm never has been right. Like I said I would do it all again because I feel if I didn't try then I wouldn't know if it would have worked or not! I have one more visit with my neuro before they say take it out. It's up to him. Well I'm done going on just needed to vent a little so this is my outlet! Thanks for listnening!

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/04/2013 - 2:13 AM
    BPS. I hope that the surgeon can come up with other options. Maybe changing the unit and the placement of the leads? If it hasn't worked right since it was implanted, maybe they didn't get the leads in the same place they were during the trial?
    I also hope the new problems will resolve quickly if they do have to remove the unit.
  • I know you have been thru Heck plus with this whole experience. Keep fighting, there is hope as long as you have the fight in you
  • Thanks you guys for responding I'm not gonna give up for anything because my wife and daughter have stuck by me through all of this so I refuse to give up until there are no more answers! I also want to thank everyone that gets on here and keeps me going with all of the stories good and bad. That keeps me motivated when I see so many strong people on here dealing with so many problems, yet they still keep hanging in there. I'm gonna make it, it's just hard! You guys listen to me complain and whine because you know what I'm going through and I thank you all.
  • Sometimes Im tired of being strong or tired of pretending Im just like everybody else. It's a special brother/sisterhood he have here. Please keep posting and thanks
  • I have more questions about my neurosurgeon. My wife and I went to see him today sept 9 .13 about all of my issues I've been having which are chest pains and severe headaches and why my stem still isn't working which has been in since April in my lumbar area! He walks in and says is it working and I said no so he said let's take it out! That's it! He wouldn't even let my wife ask a question and had us go ahead and leave immediately! I need to know if I can go to another dr for an opinion? My wife and I just want to know if this can be fixed or something. I don't want to just give up yet. I didn't have surgery to just see it fail in a few months and then have another one. This really sucks! Does anyone know if another dr will even look at me because I heard they don't like to mess with other drs work? I don't know where to turn because if I get this stem out and my new pain I've gotten since don't go away, I just don't know what to do! If anybody can give any advice please do so. Thank you!
  • I'm sorry, you must be so frustrated. If I were you, I would go to the manufacturer's website and find another doctor who works with the same model or better yet, models other than the one you have as well. Then I would make an appointment for a consultation and simply explain what you have been through with this.
    I'm shocked that any doctor would act like that, and not even attempt to find out why it is not working as it should......you need to run, far and fast from that doctor and find a new one.
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 09/10/2013 - 8:56 AM
    Have you turned the stimulator off? If so, what happens when you do that? I suggest taking Sandi's recommendation. In addition contact your Stim Rep to see if they will meet you away from your doctors office, maybe at your PCP, for a tuning session.

For what its worth, I can see the headaches if you have a spinal leak but the chest pains sounds like something else.

• then it has to come out out be adjusted
  • I am so sorry to hear of all the problems you are having and then to have a doctor that can't take a few minutes for his patients is a whole new ball of wax! Hugs to you and your family and I hope you get the answers you need and your doctor listens to you.
    DDD & spinal stenosis L4-S1 since 2001
    30+ injections, PT, massage therapy, accupuncture, TENS unit, meds, etc but no surgical intervention
    I am not a surgical candidate
  • I am so sorry to hear the SCS is not working for you. I know how very upsetting that can be because mine did not work for me. Not only did it not work I was allergic to the leads. I had to have mine removed. But now I have a Pain Pump implant and am doing great with it. Lets hope they can get things worked out for you but if not you may want to consider a Pain Pump.
    Best of luck to you.
    Patsy W