Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any of you heard/diagnosed with Myelomalacia??

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
From what I have read (and from my MRI with Gad day before yesterday) I have developed it. The is no cure or treatment and it is progressive. How lucky am I. Any one out there been diagnosed with it and have encouraging tale to tell??

I here the usual sound of crickets.

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I assume it is in the cervical area? When do you see the doctors? I will do some reading and let you know what I find.
    I'm sorry for the new problems.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 09/15/2013 - 4:43 AM
    Yes it is cervical from what I've read , the prognosis doesn't look good

I see my Neuro next week,

Thanks again,'

Spine-health Moderator

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Thanks for the research .... I basically found the same, and it does'nt look pretty. It suggests that it is progressive, Has no definative treatment. All of my varied symptoms line up which mean I and toast!!m I see my Neuro tomorrow and expect that he will get a suprise!! This wouold explain why my meds are not working well .... but again there are no known treatment.

If I didn't have bad luck .... I wouldn't have any !!!

Thanks again,

Spine-health Moderator

• I thought that's what I had and had a 4 level to correct. Well take that back whatever was damaged won't come back such as weakness in right side and handwriting etc but it was supposed to stop the progression. Now I'm confused. The flattening of my cord will probably come back but not the bruising that NS called myelomacia . So metal neck did you not have cerical fusion?
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/21/2013 - 6:32 AM
    I will keep looking and see what else I can find. Have you tried medscape or pubmed? Sometimes I have found information there that I haven't found in other areas of the internet.......
  • Metalneck said:
    From what I have read (and from my MRI with Gad day before yesterday) I have developed it. The is no cure or treatment and it is progressive. How lucky am I. Any one out there been diagnosed with it and have encouraging tale to tell??

I here the usual sound of crickets.

Hi Metalneck,

I have been diagnosed with Mylomalacia (Progressive) also. I suffered a injury to c5-c6-c7 area and went through two surgeries c/w fusion. Can anyone give me anymore info on the condition?? Will this mean I will get worse? my MRI (last one) says I have no compression in that aera although I have the Mylomalacia Progressive. I am so worried about my future. I am only 39. The injury was back in 2006.
  • mevinammevina Posts: 1
    edited 08/12/2014 - 2:17 PM
    Nurburgring wrote: "...my MRI (last one) says I have no compression in that area although I have the Mylomalacia Progressive.... The injury was back in 2006."

Sorry to hear you and Metalneck developed myelomalacia after fusion. And thank you both for sharing. Like the poster above my understanding is fusion is supposed to prevent myelomalacia or stop progression. Nurburgring, your injury was nearly 8 years ago. Have your symptoms progressed much? Wishing you good health. M

PS I also have cervical stenosis with osteophytes at every level, complicated by myelomalacia bruising and softened cord at C-3/4. Initial injury with radicular symptoms was 2009. So far despite the risks have refused fusion surgery.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is a very old thread, for best support and information I suggest you make a new thread in introductions, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike Posts: 244
    edited 08/17/2014 - 7:18 PM
    I just found out,,,So is there a progressive time frame and a list of events that happen?
  • Send me a personal message.
  • ProudmoorePProudmoore Posts: 4
    edited 09/10/2014 - 5:06 AM
    I did some digging as well and I came up with few additional information.

Myelomalacia can be simply defined as the softening of the spinal cord. Cerivical Myelomalacia usually develops as a result of hemorrhaging in the spinal cord or inadequate supply of blood to the spinal cord. In either case, the spinal cord is made weak and thus easily susceptible to damage. Damage to the spine as a result of an injury is the most common cause of the condition.

Post edited for medical advice. Posting of medical advice by members is not permitted on Spine Health. Please see your physician for medical advice.

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."
    Khalil Gibran

• That was written in MRI 8-12. Post surgery of 8-12.
  • Hi! After 10 years of doctors who wanted nothing more than to have me pop pills, in late 2013, I went to new doctors who with the physical therapist they had me see, finally sent me for an MRI. I had experienced severe pain along with numbness/tingling down both arms on and off through those years. The MRI showed 4 levels with herniation and myelomalacia.

After consulting with a neurosurgeon and a try to see if steroids would help at all, surgery was scheduled. I had surgery to fuse 3 of the levels on 4/25/13.

It's been a year now. All but the top level have completely fused. I am nearly pain free all the time and have been since waking up from surgery. Gone are the pervasive numbness and tingling in the arms. The only lingering issues: weakness (I'll never be as strong as I once was), balance issues, and numbness in the right thumb. I was realistic going in and I think it's important to have a realistic outlook. The bruising is going to be there on the spine now, and MRI will always show it, but the progression is stopped. I have to watch those adjacent levels for the same thing happening down the road.

I hope everyone who has posted here has had successful treatment of their issues.
  • jrrjjrr Posts: 1
    edited 08/14/2015 - 11:35 PM
    someone in the family is diagnosed with Myelomalacia. Desperately looking for positive stories.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    edited 08/14/2015 - 12:49 PM
    I have it on my MRI. I have had some NS saying I need surgery for that, some other NS saying its not 100% sure, only follow up MRI can decide the progress.. I want to hear stories from people who had that one MRI for more than 2 or 5 (or even 10 years) on their MRI.
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • EriosEErios Posts: 1
    edited 01/27/2016 - 10:55 PM
    My cat was diagnosed with Myelomalacia, although it's impossible I have given him ginkgo biloba and have seen an improvement ! Try it out, it's natural, and there aren't any side effects.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Liz, Spine-health Moderator
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 01/29/2016 - 2:39 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• My MRI from 2011 says that I may have an area of Myelomalacia but that a STIR or FLAIR is needed to exclude that finding. The doctor didn't mention that. She only mentioned surgery so I didn't follow up. It mentions so many more things like flattening of the cervical cord, narrowing, protrusions, desiccated, etc. The pain seemed to get better with using certain pillows and taking over the counter meds. Now I have pain again for about six months and also pain in my arm. Going to Orthopedic doc tomorrow. 
  • scjibberjaws49sscjibberjaws49 south shore ky.Posts: 6
    i have a loud ringing in my ears but mostly my right ear seems louder , i ask neurosurgeon in columbus ohio  4/22/16 about it and he told me if it has already started that most likely it was permanent  !
  • scjibberjaws49sscjibberjaws49 south shore ky.Posts: 6
    i also have ringing in the ears (sounds like 'JarFlies , crickets ) all the time NS said if it has already started most likely it was permanent !  ( if you try to cover it up with music it just gets louder ) c2,c3,c4,c5,c6 needs fused !
     Mild multilevel endplate spurring is noted.
    There is no prevertebral edema identified.c There is a hemangioma within
    vertebral  bodyT2. 

C2/C3: Mild bilateral uncovertebra

C4/C5: There is disc - osteophyte complex
    formation with a mild broad-based posterior disc bulge. Mild to moderate
    bilateral facet hypertrophy is noted. Uncovertebral joint spurring is more
    pronounced on the left. This results in severe left and moderate to severe right
    neural foraminal stenosis and mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis with
    contact of the ventral surface of the cord with mild cord flattening.

There is mild increased T2 cord signal
    intensity within the ventral aspect of the cord best appreciated on sagittal
    image 7 of series 2. This may represent chronic changes of myelomalacia or
    compressive myelopathy given the focal cord contact at this level.

C5/C6: Moderate right uncovertebral joint
    spurring and mild bilateral facet hypertrophy result inc moderate to severe
    right neural foraminal stenosis. There is no spinal canal stenosis at this

IMPRESSION: Moderate multilevel discogenic
    and degenerative changes most pronounced at C4-C5 with mild to moderate spinal
    canal stenosis, ventral cord contact with mild cord flattening, suspected mild
    chronic cord changes/myelomalacia, and high-grade neural foraminal