Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

insomnia after surgery! anyone else?

I slept lightly in the hospital with people coming in and out of my room all night long and could not wait to get home to get a good nights sleep.
I am home now and still cant sleep more than 3 hours at a time, then wake up WIDE AWAKE!

I know we need sleep for post-op healing, but I am not getting it.

Anyone else? Whats tbe reason?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's needed

• Poor Rose! You just can't seem to catch a break. I've read many of your posts and your courage has truly inspired me.

After my ACDF surgery I had some sleeping problems for about a week after surgery. I had no regular sleep cycle at all and by the second night, I just learned to follow the crazy wave. Watch a movie or two from say 4 A.M.-7:00 A.M., sleep a few hours, some more television and so on and so on.

I guess it has to do with the meds and anesthesia or something. My advice is to just ride it out and don't put pressure on yourself to follow a normal sleep schedule.

Good luck!
    3/11/13 successful ACDF
    7/13 inconclusive discogram
    Currently in PT for lumbar pain
  • At least i still have a smile on my face and joy in my heart

Thanks for your well wishes

• Hi
    I have had nothing but problems getting sleep after my spine mess has started.
    I would talk to your doctor about it. I have two meds to use and trade them off and on for better coverage. Just pain and being uncomfortable makes sleep hard and in addition we do less and require less sleep. On the other hand one good nights sleep really helps.
    Sounds like your doing better overall.

Good Luck

PS a.side effect of over the counter Benadryl is sleep
  • Cant take benedryl, rare blood disease
    But i try ambien, and it works for three hours and then

I am WIDE awake
    At 3:00 AM its a long day to start your day. LOL
    Smilin Rose. ( aka StenosisRose) but hooe thats all gone now
  • natannnnatann Posts: 66
    edited 09/17/2013 - 1:18 PM
    Mine has been terrible. PCP thought it was withdrawal from being on med's for so long.
    Took ambien, still couldn't sleep, NyQuil etc. turns out it was: is anxiety!!
    I haven't slept more than 8 hours in a night since my surgery.
    Had me take a test and I even have a little/ slight PTSD.
    Had a chiropractor tare my disk and ended up w/ pars fracture, then needed surgery badly for 1 year and 4 dr's refused to do surgery, lost a job etc.
    no suprize that we have anxiety etc from what we have all been through. rose I'm sure with what you've been through you have some anxiety.
    99/00 L4/5 & L5/S1 herniation
    2001 L5/S1 microdisectomy age 25
    severe DDD at surgery level
    2011 pars
    2012 RFA L/3/4/5
    7-02-13 L4/5 l5/S1 360 fusion ALIF PLIF
    DX spondylitis , DDD, scoliosis, and slight kyphosis
  • Rose or aka smilnrose
    To bad about Benadryl it helps and doesn't have to many side effects.
    I do use ambien when my other doesn't work but I have strange dreams on it. I get 10mg
    Do you have 5 mg or 10 mg. If it's five maybe 10 would help you sleep longer.
    How is your blood doing the white.count was low wasn't it?
    Wish you well

• With the 103 fever after the surgery my whute count was elevated to 14,500
    But THank God i saw my infectious disease doctor a fe days ago and WBC count is back to normal

10 mg Ambien and it only works for 3-4 hour, then i am WIDE AWAKE
    i try to stay up till midnight, but i m so tired

With the surgery, dura tear having to lie flat for 7 days, getting weaker being in bed for 3 weeks in the hospital, high fever, UTI from Foley catheter for 7 days, this huge kidny stone and bleeding kidney blood, that darn CHEST VEST mess causing more numbness and problems, falling on my tile bathroom floor with the high fever, I am sure i do have some concerns and ANXIETY.
    Remember, i NEVER took any pain meds after surgery, so maybe they would have helped me relax and sleep better

Oh i miss a good nights sleep
    But tomorrow is another blessing and i look forward to it
    love you all
    Smilin Rose ( formerly stenosisROse)

• stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 09/17/2013 - 2:47 PM
    Maybe thats what i have since that CHEST VEST caused bleeding, swelling and inflammation of my spine, then
    100 cc had to be needle aspirated from my spinal areas.

Gee, reading whai i have been through, i guess I SHOULD BE ANXIOUS

Thanks Rick and all myfiends

• I slept terribly for about a week post op on c3-c5 fusion.
    My fusion still occurred flawlessly. Having been through this once, I know now stressing about sleep pattern post operation is pretty much a waste of energy and time.
    The body is such an amazing gift. It is capable of healing and adjusting in amazing ways.
    Since my surgery, my sleep has altered quite a bit. After reading some of the posts here, I gues some PTSD may have something to do with it.

All I can say to you Rose is to stay mentally strong. Take your naps as your body allows you to fall asleep, and take your vitamins (calcium) and your pain meds as the Dr. suggests. Don't try to tough this out, and refuse pain meds. When taken on schedule, they will decrease your overall pain levels. But the problem is, when we feel better, we then think that we don't need the meds anymore. That is so wrong. Stopping on the meds will cause a flare up, and then the sleep issues come back and the pain and inflammation return and it takes a while to decrease the inflammation and pain once it comes back.
    I hope you are doing well, and wish you a healthy recovery.
  • I had the same issue. I didn't sleep well the night before my surgery (first major surgery of my adult life). Slept during surgery and was so tired. I got home and I laid down because I was scared about how much pain I would be in once everything wore off. Napped lightly for a couple of hours. Then I was up until god knows what time in the morning before sleeping 3-4 hours. That has been my average now since the say of the surgery (Sept 5th this year). However, last night I finally got 6 hours of straight sleep. I also finally allowed myself to just stay in bed (an issue I have been having) and I got another 3 hours out of it. So I felt pretty good today, mostly. Having a little flare up right now, but I just took meds.

Anyway, I think it's fairly common to have sleep issues after something like that. Regardless of how many times you've had surgery.
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • I cant take any pain meds, wish i could, a rare blood disease and severe reactions does not afford me the privledge of having pain relief. I even had a hysterectomy with no pain meds, that was a real challenge but by the Grace of God, i gt through that and will get through this to.

Thanks for your concern and support

This group of people are truly compassonate and caring and its a blessing
  • Hi
    What is the test for PTSD?
    And is it given by a psychologist?
  • So sorry to hear.
    In my case, the night after surgery, my respiration was so incredibly relaxed that my body would wake me up to force me to breathe. I had to remain conscious for a couple of hours to make sure I breathed correctly, was hyperventilating (and had to focus really hard not to lose control). Eventually got a few hours in.
  • natannnnatann Posts: 66
    edited 10/06/2013 - 2:28 PM
    My PCP's office had an online test on an iPad. It was really for anxiety, depression, and PTSD.
    99/00 L4/5 & L5/S1 herniation
    2001 L5/S1 microdisectomy age 25
    severe DDD at surgery level
    2011 pars
    2012 RFA L/3/4/5
    7-02-13 L4/5 l5/S1 360 fusion ALIF PLIF
    DX spondylitis , DDD, scoliosis, and slight kyphosis