Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Return of Sciatic Pain 5 weeks after Discectomy?

Hi there, I'm brand new to this site and would like to share my post surgical experience to see if others have had anything similar. I am a generally healthy and fit 46 year old male who has biked centuries (100 mile races) and run marathons. I had a discectomy at L4/L5 for sciatic pain in my left butt and leg back in Oct 2010. I experienced immediate relief of pain and recovered very quickly. I was back to work after a week and off all pain meds after a week as well. After doing PT and getting all of my movement back, I was pain free and able to do everything I wanted to do up until Jan 2013..

In Jan 2013, I re-herniated the same disc; however, my symptoms were on the right side. I tried conservative treatment again, but the pain got so bad, I had a repeat discectomy Aug 9th. I am just over 5 weeks post op and was doing great, leg pain gone, incision healing well up until a couple of days ago when the butt pain and calf pain returned. It is not as bad as per-surgery, but I'm quite scared because I didn't have this experience last time. I don't think I have re-herniated because I can lift my leg straight and coughing doesn't seem to make the pain worse.

Has anyone else experienced a return of nerve pain? Is it temporary? Any ideas of what might be causing this nerve irritation?

Thanks for your support.
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, it could be a flare up of nerve related pain, especially if the nerve was touched during surgery or there was some compression or contact of the nerve root during surgery. It should settle down over the coming days and few weeks but if it does persist, then you would need to contact your surgeon for evaluation.