Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7-Weeks L4-L5 Micro Post-Op Specific ?s

eric292eeric292 Posts: 3
edited 09/18/2013 - 6:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I introduced myself in intro forum.

I am now 7-weeks post-op of what I have to assume was a successful Microdiscectomy.

I am going to start a lot of sentences with I...

Initially the back and leg pain were completely gone after the surgery, both pains returned about ten days after the surgery.

Since then the leg and butt pain have been reduced significantly and now I am stuck with a fairly debilitating back pain at the same place the back pain was before.

I know recovery can take a long time and even though at first I was discouraged with all the "all-over-the-place" advice I was seeing, I now more than realize that so many factors are involved it makes sense that really no one can define what exactly is causing the problem.

One quote I loved from a Vlog (Video Blog) was a guy on You Tube saying that the surgery (according to his Doc) is intended to cure the sciatic pain. Not the back pain. And that the Microdiscectomy gives us a window of opportunity to change our life styles to strengthen what we need to for the back pain to go away.

At the three week to five week mark I was not walking nearly enough I took very few lengthy walks and mostly paced around my house, I did a lot of this but it was inconsistent. As of Sunday of this past week I am now forcing myself to walk an hour a day.

Thus opening my first question:

#1.) Advice has ranged so much from "Do not push it" a zillion times, too a single lady who was told to push it. The P.A. I saw last Thursday said that walking is the great exercise to do at this point, but I feel like I want more.

At the seven week point is there any stretches that can be recommended? Is there anything that people did in my similar situation that helped stretch those core and back muscles?

I look longingly at the free-weight in my company's in-house gym, but know those must be a ways off. But I just do not feel like I am putting enough effort into the exercise department and am curious if anyone did certain moves that worked for them.

**NOTE** ~ what about Pilates? I just had a very caring co-worker call me and recommend Mari Winter's Bad Back Pilates.

#2.) Has anyone tried doing on a significant caloric deficit during the recovery process? I am 220lbs, 5' 10" male of age 28. So many people have stated that losing the weight helped a lot. I am however scared of pushing myself too low in caloric deficit, I want to get myself on a 1,000 calorie or less diet to place myself into Ketosis to lose weight quicker.

Ketosis can be harmful to the body as the body is in a semi-panic and our chemistry changes as body fat is harvested to fulfil energy deficits. I am concerned that concentrated weight loss regime through diet may not be proper for my body!

#3.) Speaking of doing damage to our bodies, as part of a recovery...*sigh*...At first I thought my little month off work post-op was going to be Utopia. I can't do anything but play video games for a month? UH YES PLEASE.

Well, in a different thread, that month changed my life. I wasn't able to play games really at all. I was so bored... I now really, really love work. Amazing what "living that dream" can really open one's eyes too.

My point being...A little bit before the surgery and, about two weeks into my recovery, I *sigh* picked up the habit of smoking Marlboro Cigs. It helped to calm me a little and helped with the boredom, oh and the morning bowel movement after the cig was really helpful.

How dumb ~ but I'm in the addiction now, I had previously been quit for over six years.

Often doctors will tell preggo women to not even quit smoking once they pass their first month. This is due to the strain that quitting cigarettes causes on the body.

On the other hand, I've read several posts from Physicians that "smokers, recovery, all-bets are off" ~ Yay, fantastic...

My Question is:

Do we think that the stress I put on my body from quitting a month old addiction will out way the detrimental effects that the withdraw will cause?

I want to quit anyway, but I would be willing to do a patch or gum if the stress on my body during this stage of recovery is not recommended. When I quit before I just quit cold turkey.

#4.) Are there any specific exercise regimes that anyone follows at the 2 month, 4 month, 6 month, 1 year, and beyond that really has helped maintain or increase the core strength?

#5.) In that same thread, any high-octane, exercise I can do to really get my heart thumping without putting pressure on the Lumbar? Can't believe I'm saying this (well...I can), but I really want to sweat my butt off at least once a day. I want to clear out my lungs, I want to lose weight!

(1st Post Edit)

#6.) As I may have mentioned previously I use kneeling chairs at both home and work. I also have a workout ball that I sat on a little before I had the surgery. I think I need to start sitting on the workout ball a lot more. At this point in my recovery, could I sit on the workout ball to work the core muscles and promote circulation without necessarily the fear of causing too much strain on the lower back?

I feel like I had more to ask...But that was extremely long winded and I should go take a walk!

I just want to thank everyone ahead of time for all the content that is already posted on these forums. I am sure there a lot of people like us who do not post, but just read. The reading has really helped me maintain a healthy state of mind.