Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thigh pain after back surgery

My mother had a back surgery for l4 l5 the surgery went well and was all 100% fine but after 4 weeks she is suffering from a seviour pain in her thigh wich starts from under her hip and runs to the knee and somtime to the little toe of her right leg....its difficult for her to get off the bed and even sit for a long time that may be not even a half an hour. She is extremely depressed is there any one who went through such situation and tell me what shall we do in order to make this pain go?????
. doctors think this pain is due to spasm and suggested that it will go in a week or two. she had her surgery on 12 july 2013 and its now 17 sep and its getting worse her medications are on mainly pain killers but no improvment pls help !!!!!! and letme know what will make it better

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Sorry to hear about the pain your mother is in. I know the first 5 days I had constant pain in my left butt cheek and back of the left thigh. A couple of times it even radiated down to my ankle. That is normal as my sciatic nerve was being compressed by a herniated disc for almost a year and it was now trying to heal itself. It is now more of a "depends on what I'm doing" type of thing. I would talk to the doctor about getting into some Physical Therapy or perhaps look up exercises she can do to help relieve sciatic nerve pain. For me, what helps, is to lay flat on my back, put a rolled up towel behind the knee of the affected leg and slowly pull that knee to my chest (or as far as it will let me). I hold that position for 5 seconds and release. I repeat that up to 10 times. If I still have pain, I do another rep. Also, try laying her on the opposite side of the pain and placing 2-3 pillows between her knees. It will help decompress anything that may need some relief.

Hope this helps and she feels better!
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • I had my surgery July 18 th and i have been suffering from severe leg pain. I was told by the pa at my suregons that it is nerve pain. Some people have it and some don't. I have pain meds and lyrica for the nerve pain.

I hope your mom gets some relief. I use 2 bed pillows at night to get some relief.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • ex-gymnasteex-gymnast Posts: 111
    edited 09/19/2013 - 4:52 PM
    I had a fusion/decompression in June on levels L2-4 but I still get nerve pain down my left hip/butt to my knee and occasionally even lower. It has a lot to do with swelling and how much pressure is on those nerves. In addition to the pillows and physical therapy the others suggested, you can ask her doctor about pain meds for nerve pain (like Lyrica) and the physical therapist can order her a TENS unit which really helps me. It's sort of a electrical stim thing that can disrupt pain signals. I also had those tight muscles "needled". It is needles put into those muscles and they cramp hard but then release and its feels great afterwards. You need to make sure she knows all the risks and benefits but it really did help me. Only let an experienced physical therapist do it and do research first and check with her doctor. It's not uncommon for this to go on for several months after surgery. I hope she starts feeling better soon. She's lucky to have you advocating for her! Good luck!
    Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015
  • Thanks for the replies can you also tell me what your doctor told you the reason for this pain and the medications he prescribed with full details
    it will be a great help !!!
    thanks once again!
  • whatever the reasons are for us having the pain, may not be the reasons for the pain you are talking about. Perhaps speaking to the doctor again or talking with another doctor may help?
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14