Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I am a 64 year old female, 1 year status post fusion L2-3 and removal of hardware from previous L4-S1 fusion done 4 years ago.

Two days ago, I somehow must have twisted my left side a few days ago because I am in excruciating pain. It hurts to breathe, stand, walk, sit. I did not lift anything except for moving a roll of carpet I had in my closet to get at something pinned under it. I had no initial pain , but later it started. It's all left sided from my ribcage all the way down to the groin, lower back and buttock, left hip front and back. I am taking Flexoril 1 tablet every 8 hrs. and Hydrocodone 7.50 tablets every 5 hours. The pain keeps me from getting comfortable to sleep and suddenly i'll get a severe pain like someone hit my left buttock and upper thigh with a hammer and it wakes me up so I have only gotten about 9 hours sleep in two days. When I try to stand after sitting the pain takes my breath away until I walk around for awhile then it's tolerable. Has this ever happened to you? If so what did you do. I hate to have to go to the ER. The weekend is coming up so I have to call the doc if I've really messed something up. Prior to this I had some back pain but it was ok and not interrupting my activities of daily living. This pain is like HELL.

• RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 09/19/2013 - 5:40 PM
    I have severe pain that goes from the bottom of my rib cage, to my lower back, then down to my left knee. I had L3-5 fusion last yr. I went to ER because I too could not breathe very well. All they did to me was an EKG and chest xray to make sure my heart and lungs were okay. They did nothing for my back. Matter of fact, they told me that my back problems were a flare up and I should follow up with the surgeon. I followed up with the surgeon's nurse and they ordered an MRI which I am having tomorrow. My so called flare up is just getting worse. I have learned that going to ER for back problems unless you have had some sort of trauma is useless. In my experience, the doctors assume that you want some meds for your back problem. Its easier and cheaper to just to follow up with your doctor.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/20/2013 - 9:34 AM
    You really should call your surgeon or whomever you see for pain medications if the pain is this bad. The new problems indicate you did something and if it has not settled down, you may need a new imaging study to make sure that you didn't do any serious damage.
    One word of caution, I don't know what the dosing interval is for your meds, but do not take them more often than they are prescribed, without clearing it with your doctor first.
    They tend to frown on that.
  • My experience is they will treat you like you are a junkie looking for a fix. Call your doctor and let us know how your doing.
  • autistoaautisto Posts: 9
    edited 10/01/2013 - 8:19 AM
    I used to have a nasty hip problem myself. Actually I suffered with almost every chronic pain and annoying condition you can think of, head to toe. I found out that our lifestyle and neglected muscles around the hip and spine cause most of these painful conditions. Restore your posture and the conditions stop immediately. "As the hip goes, so goes the spine."

Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation Team
    Please review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

This discussion has been closed.