Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain corresponding to my symptoms

Hello All,
Hoping I can get some insight. I have horrible leg pain that starts in lower back, goes around to outside and anterior of thigh to knee, and knee is extremely pain. my pain is worse standing and walking, going up steps, and while turning over in my sleep. Also having horrible spasms in the anterior thigh. My surgeon states that my MRI shows multiple level degenerative disc disease with various degrees of mild central stenosis and mild lateral recess stenosis. Most significant is left side of L3-L4 has extruded small disc fragment . This migrated distal to L3-L4, it is medial to pedicle of L4 causing compression of descending L4 nerve root. One ortho surgeon is saying diagnostic L4 nerve injection with microdiscetomy one surgeon laminectomy. All insights are appreciated. Does my pain correspond to my symptoms?
Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis

• None of us are doctors, so we can't tell you whether or not your symptoms correspond to your pain areas. The bigger question is do you trust the surgeon that you saw? If you don't have faith that your surgeon listened to you, was thorough in his exam of you, and has your best interests at heart, then it is time to consult with another surgeon.
    Here is a link to getting spine pain treated so that you have some idea of what the normal steps are, and what you should expect. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    edited 09/25/2013 - 1:01 PM

I had the exact same pain for months from December until April . Initially I saw a physiatrist and had an MRI done that was misread. Finally in April after 2 epidurals and mega pain that did not subside I decided to get another opinion from a neurosurgeon . He took one look at my MRI and said that I had a portion of disc that had ruptured and was lodged in my L 4 nerve root. I also had pain in the anterior portion of my shin. The surgery was done on may 7th and initially I felt better but recently some leg pain has returned. I also have new back pain. I plan to go back to see my Dr on Friday.

If you look on a dermatome map you will see where the L 4 nerve root is and how it correlates to your locations of pain.

I know exactly how you feel. This was the worst pain ever. I am hoping that the length of time my nerve was compressed will not affect its healing. My Dr was hopeful. I sure am not.
  • myharleygirlmmyharleygirl Posts: 55
    edited 09/25/2013 - 4:16 PM
    Ok, first things first. I acknowledge that no one in the forum is a physician. To be honest, I have had enough neck, lower spine, and an assorted array of other health issues that I know how to seak out the physicians I feel I need to attend to my health issues. Besides personal experience, I have several well connected physicians in my immediate family.
    Perhaps I have given the wrong impression, but I was asking for personall experiences, since I find it comforting to know from someone who has been diagnosed with the same malady as I have, to confirm that their symptoms are similar to mine. Managing the maze of healthcare, is exhausting and depressing. Sometimes, there are no options available to you andvsometimes there are several options available. I listen closely to my doctors opinions, bring my husband with me to my appointments, get copies of all my consult notes, follow up visits, MRIs, Xrays, etc. I scrutinize and do mg research. I do not post in many forums, bug when I do, I am looking for other peoples' experiences, not theit professional expertise. Insssure you I havd followed the "outlined steps", and I am on the step where surgery is being considered. Inhad hopedbto find companionship and understanding from people who have gone through this process or currently going through the process.
    I trust my doctors, they have listened to me, have my best interests at heart and have guided me through "the steps". With alll due respect, the standard respinse to new forum topics may not apply to everyone on the forum.
    Liz53, thank you for sharing your experiences with me. Your response was exactly whay I was hoping for, which Iis youf own personal experience.

Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
    Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis
  • You specifically asked if your pain corresponded to your symptoms and I addressed that particular question. When you put things on public forums, you don't get to dictate what types of responses you will get. We, like all forums out there, have rules that members must abide by and it would be wise for new members to read them.